El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Conquista | 305 | Th350 | Air Suspension
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning up unused wires and tubing. I’m guessing this tubing was used for air shocks. Just confirming before I remove. The white tubing runs to the other side with a similar connector.

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Tints and shades Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Helmet Gas Auto part Publication

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
Can we do a sanity check?
This 5th Gen may have had air shocks at one time. Is this correct?

It appears that it now has black air bags.
Those are normally good and worth keeping.
Normally we see red Air Lift 1000 air bags that get put inside the rear springs and the air shocks replaced with shocks.

There should be a way to fill the air bags for when you carry a heavier load.
Ideally each bag is filled with a separate fill valve, yet some installed with just one valve.

Can you find the valves and lines that fill your black air bags?
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Motor vehicle Outdoor shoe

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
May I ask that you consider adding your vehicle info, so that it appears under your avatar.
This will help others help you.
Click this link, locate vehicle info and then fill in an abbreviated info like 1984 305ci, TH2004r
After typing it in, you can set the permissions so it can be seen by Members or Everyone. You choose.
Do not forget to scroll down and select SAVE
(2) Account details | El Camino Central Forum

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I should have been a bit more clear. I did have an air suspension installed. I’m going through and redoing the electrical work for the air suspension. The place I paid for the install did a terrible job and used 18/4 fire alarm control wire to power the relay and 1 of the air compressors. While I was underneath I found some unused tubing and wires that i’d like to get rid off. The opposite side has 2 thin tubes also hanging near the shocks. Just wanting to be certain that these tubes can be removed.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Electrical wiring

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
Can you tell us which air suspension you added?

Keep in mind that there may also be some tubing running from the fuel tank forward to the charcoal box to help with reclaiming fuel vapors.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like an HKI Air suspension system. It has 2 compressors, 5 gallon tank, 4 bags, air manifold with a controller that allows control of ea bag.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,505 Posts
That's a pretty serious setup, don't usually see independant bags and a full air-ride suspension on a G-body because the front frame pockets aren't designed to fit them. Somebody has put some time and effort into that.

But yes, anything coming from that valve in the gas door can go, it's old, cracked, useless now as that originally did go to the shocks, but they are long gone and highly doubtful at this point that the tubing would see re-use on new air shocks. Tubing is easy enough to aquire/replace if needed. There's no wiring involved.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.
That's a pretty serious setup, don't usually see independant bags and a full air-ride suspension on a G-body because the front frame pockets aren't designed to fit them. Somebody has put some time and effort into that.

But yes, anything coming from that valve in the gas door can go, it's old, cracked, useless now as that originally did go to the shocks, but they are long gone and highly doubtful at this point that the tubing would see re-use on new air shocks. Tubing is easy enough to aquire/replace if needed. There's no wiring involved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts