El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I'm planing (God permitting.) on bleeding my breaks. I have to do it myself so I'm going with the slow bleed program. Just open the bleeder and sit back with a brew.
So the question is: How long does it take to do this? I know the answer will be an estimate. That's all I want. I have set up a bottle with a hose attached to it. A catch bottle if you will. I've just never done it this way before. And I don't know what to expect.

Thanks guys!!! :You_Rock:

B

·
0 Posts
I would get a set of speed bleeders. I put them on all my vehicals. Takes 5 minutes with them. Just crack them open one at a time and put a hose into a container. Pump the brakes a few times and move to the next wheel. Super simple and works great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use a power bleeder. Go from wheel to wheel in the proper sequence and you're done...with no pedal pumping.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Of course, one of the easier ways is to backward bleed them. You can use a pressure sprayer (like for your garden, put a gallon of brake fluid in it, use a hose clamp to attach the hose to the bleeder, pump up pressure, and it will push the fluid backwards through the system. This is a good way to flush it, too.

·
Registered
589 Posts
This weekend I'm planing (God permitting.) on bleeding my breaks. I have to do it myself so I'm going with the slow bleed program. Just open the bleeder and sit back with a brew.
So the question is: How long does it take to do this? I know the answer will be an estimate. That's all I want. I have set up a bottle with a hose attached to it. A catch bottle if you will. I've just never done it this way before. And I don't know what to expect.

Thanks guys!!! :You_Rock:
What you need to do here is open up all the bleeders and let them all drip for 10 minutes or so, replacing the brake fluid in the MC. This will fill up the lines and purge of air. Problem is, they don't always start dripping and you have to get them to.

Another way would be to loosen bleeders, one by one, furthest from MC to closest to, MC, attach a tightly fitting hose over the bleeder with the other end submerged in a bottle of brake fluid. Pump the brake pedal slowly half a dozen times or so, close the bleeder and move on to the next until all four are bleeded.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
gravity is fine as long as you dont let the master run dry as mentioned above. it will usually drip one every second and will take about 5 min to do the r rear first,then anout 2 or 3 min for the others. you really want to avoid blowing fluid back through the system it is hard on the residual check valves in the brake system. you will be blowing all of the crap in your brake system through the little rubber valves.not a good choice

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I like to use hand-held vacuum pump. Always worked for me, no issues...And you can still have that brew!

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all.

I've read all of the posts and I'm still going to stick with the slow method. My disability
tells me that this will be the best way to do it. I've got a bottle with a hose coming out of it. The bleeders will have to wait. I will have to buy them one at a time. The ones I found online are made of stainless steel and cost right at $15.00 a piece. That's $60 for the truck at once. I'll have to save up for that. I would eventually like to put together a pressure pump and speed bleeders. So the once a year fluid exchange will be easy.

Well thank all of you. :You_Rock:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've read all of the posts and I'm still going to stick with the slow method. My disability
tells me that this will be the best way to do it. I've got a bottle with a hose coming out of it. The bleeders will have to wait. I will have to buy them one at a time. The ones I found online are made of stainless steel and cost right at $15.00 a piece. That's $60 for the truck at once. I'll have to save up for that. I would eventually like to put together a pressure pump and speed bleeders. So the once a year fluid exchange will be easy.

Well thank all of you. :You_Rock:
You don't need those bleeders. Just fit a hose over the stockers and bleed into the jar. HOw often are you going to bleed your brakes??? :dontknow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts