El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just replaced the wiring harness from American-Autowire including the A/C harness. I need some direction...:dontknow: an order of operations if you will to check out my A/C and replace parts as needed. I have the 69 Chevelle wiring diagram and my new harness digram but don't know where to start.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Are you asking for help with the wiring harness installation or reassembly of the mechanical components? IF the harness, call AAW their tech people are super and will explain things clearly.

If it is the mechanical stuff, here is my ( non-professional) .02 cents

1- Decision Time - R U going with R134 or R12?
2- Clean condenser and AC lines of residue oil.
2- Replace oil in the compressor with appropriate oil ( 134 or 12 specific )
3- Replace all O-Rings
4- Reassemble
5- Vacuum system , make sure it doesn't leak.
6- Charge with refrigerant.
Probably a bit of oversimplification - hopefully others will fill in the details.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information, I was starting to wonder if anyone would reply:You_Rock:. yes the wiring is straight forward I'm looking on to the mechanical aspect of the job. from what ive read R12 seems to be the better way to go. When you say clean condenser and A/C lines... how? is there a solvent that should be used? or just open and drain?

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
Your car is almost 50 yrs old. If it still has the original a/c components, evaporator, condenser ect I would highly recommend replacing them all to include the hoses. This will eliminate the chances of any foreign matter getting into your new compressor and blowing it up. You can clean the old system out with a A/C system cleaner and hope that you get everything out and do not ruin your new compresser or do it right the first time. I just did the same thing to my 87 and you can hang meat in the cab it's so cold now. Plus I know it will last a long time with no problems. It's up to you.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I am redoing the A/C in my 69. I chose to convert to 134a. I bought an "Underhood Upgrade Kit" from Classic Auto Air. New compressor, condenser, dryer, hoses, POA valve. I am also replacing the OEM evaporator and expansion valve. Everything that touches refrigerant will be new. It is a work in progress for me as the engine is still at the builder. I too have a new American Autowire A/C harness to install. Was it difficult to install?I am hoping to have a trouble free system when finished.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Everything rick said is right except for one part. Before you run a vacuum... charge the system with 350 psig of nitrogen. Leave over night and if you have 3t0 psig of nitrogen still in the system the next day. Bleed off the nitrogen and start a vacuum. Be sure you let the vacuum run for one and a half hours

1 - 6 of 6 Posts