El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a great deal on some tires and wheels. The only problem is the back wont fit unless I chop off about 2 inches of the wheel well. Is there a way to raise the back end? I dont really like how low it sits anyway.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Airshocks is cheapest way, I don't recommend them tho. If you were to get a leak in the hose, the body's gonna chew up the tires pretty fast and you may end up with some serious body damage. Airlift makes airbags that install inside the coil springs, much more dependable than airshocks (about $75.00 bucks at Summit). More expensive and best way to go would be to order a set of coils for a Malibu wagon, this should get you close to the desired 2" of lift your looking for, but I would also install the Airlift bags along with the coils and a set of some quality gas shocks. How wide of a tire you talking about? While wide tires look really nice, tires that stick way outside the contours of the body ruin the appealing good looks of the Elky in my opinion and they have a tendacy to kick up a lot of pebbles/rocks/gravel/tar that chips and sticks and stains that beautiful paint job your thinking about having done some day. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more questions

What year malibu wagon should I get springs from? These are wide tires, But not sure how far they will stick out until I can install them.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
If I remember correctly, you have a 5th generation Elky, although the coils are all the same for 3rd 4th and 5th. Tell the kid at the parts counter the same year as your car so you don't confuse him. Just make sure you order the ones for the wagon!!! We're not talking M/T Sportsman tires are we?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
And oh yeah, if your gonna change the coilsprings, also install a new set of rubber spring pads while you got the springs out. While your at it use the polyurethane ones, their only a couple bucks more and will last a whole lot longer!

·
823 Posts
Got a set of AIRLIFT 1000's from Summit. They work great, for less than $70.00 But you can change springs, if you want to!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trouble

Guy at the part store said there is no malibu wagon in 1978! Plus he doesnt know what the rubber bushing is called so he cant sell me one!!!! :x

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
The A/G-body Malibu wagon 1978-1983...polyurethane rear coil spring insulation pads (isolators). Call PST (Performance Suspension Technology) 1-800-247-2288 or website www.p-s-t.com. Tell them what you want to do, they'll help you out with the right parts. Stay away from the confused kid behind the parts counter at Slim Shadys Auto Parts :lol:

·
823 Posts
Just where do they find these guys? I told the kid at my local parts store, that he would be better off working at McDonalds! :evil:

·
Registered
105 Posts
well...they're ricers, they have no idea what engines do they just know if they put their moms oflgers can on it, it sounds loud, so if its loud it MUST mean its faster!!! and yah i'd go with the airlift that is pretty cool, i've got air shocks love em, but they were free so yeah:) enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts