El Camino Central Forum banner

HELP!!!!! MAJOR EXHAUST PROBLEM

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  theelcaminofactory 
#1 ·
Ok, I went to Vortec L31 heads, installed engine, TOLD the damn parts guy i was gonna use stock manifolds of elkie., The dang passenger manafold won't work! the dang last hole by fire wall is wrong. Now I am told i need vortec exhaust manifolds. Is there NO way to get around this as I am running outta vacation time, and don't have the 300 bucks for Vortec headers, not the money to have that side of exhaust redone.

#2 ·
Nothing available at the local boneyard? Are you talking about the last bolt hole (towards back of engine) on passenger side? I had a problem similar, when I broke an exhaust manifold on a chevy 350 pickup. Some of Chevys manifolds are made with a bolt hole farther back because the exhaust pipe exits (slopes) right where the normally drilled bolt hole is next to that last port. Consequently some Chevy heads have a second hole tapped in them about an 1" apart from one another. I am not that familiar with Vortec heads, but I took a look at your new engine pics and the bolt/port pattern looks the same as the older Chevy heads. If this is the case, you should find something in a boneyard that you should be able to use. Check both sides of the vehicle you get the manifolds off. Some manifolds are less restrictive than others, kinda like two different brands of headers not being the same. This may cause another problem for you tho if you are planning on using the stock crossover pipe in the Elky, it may not line up with the manifold you get from the boneyard unless you get both sides (manifolds). A lil time, a lil patience, it may take going back and forth looking at several cars in the boneyard before you find something that will work. I'd start by looking for later model Caprices that may have been a cop car in their lifetime. They usually have the Vortec V8. $300 bucks for manifolds...Naw, all else fails buy a cheap set of maybe Heddmen headers or something similar until you can afford the setup you want. I know your gettin antsy about firirg that baby up! Wish I was there to better explain all this, a drawing would be much better to go hunting with. Hope this helps. Another way to possibly solve the problem, would be to take that cylinder head off (I know you didn't wanna hear that) and have a hole tapped into it if it has a boss in the right spot. I can't tell from your pics.

#3 ·
manifolds

Well the main problem is the way the manifold is set up, on the passenger side stock head the hols are like this:

)back to front) oo o o o o o
on a vortec head:
0 0 0 0 0 0
it is missing tha textra bolt hole in the back, thus all the manifolds we have found have the first hole from back drilled in the manifold, and skips the 2nd....however, since we have drill presses and all that crap, my father just hauled ass out to a friends boneyard to grab about 4 passenger side manifolds, and we are going to drill that hole we need and seal it. Tha way I can have time to get money up to just do it right and buy the Vortec Headers.

I am very close to fire up, will be today if we solve this problem. I have to be back at work thursday so has to be today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.