El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
look on the axle tubes. there should be some stamped numbers/letters on it. That will tell you what the axle is.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well it's clearly a 7.5" rear end so if you ever plan on putting some power down it isn't really worth keeping. I'm curious what makes you say it's terrible now though.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
IIRC, the numbers are stamped on the passenger-side tube on the side facing forward. get a wire brush and green scrubby with water, scrub and clean, take a picture with your smart phone

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's clearly a 7.5" rear end so if you ever plan on putting some power down it isn't really worth keeping. I'm curious what makes you say it's terrible now though.
Because it won’t even do barely a one wheel peel and I have plenty horsepower I was thinking/ more like hoping because I was almost sure it was a 7.5 it was a decent 10 bolt at very least...what do I do now I don’t want to be a one wheel peel no more, my goal right now is to Posi My car and put a decent cooling system with aluminum radiator and dual fans and I’m done I put enough into that 350.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Because it won’t even do barely a one wheel peel and I have plenty horsepower I was thinking/ more like hoping because I was almost sure it was a 7.5 it was a decent 10 bolt at very least...what do I do now I don’t want to be a one wheel peel no more, my goal right now is to Posi My car and put a decent cooling system with aluminum radiator and dual fans and I’m done I put enough into that 350.
I mean depending on power you can put a limited slip in that rear end and call it a day, it really depends on what power level you're looking to run. Anything more than 350hp I think would be too much long term for a 7.5.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ha!! Dry pavement, belueve it or not! (Has to be the lack of weight back there).
Patrick

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,256 Posts
I mean depending on power you can put a limited slip in that rear end and call it a day, it really depends on what power level you're looking to run. Anything more than 350hp I think would be too much long term for a 7.5.
a stock 7.5 can handle around 400-425 HP without using slicks
Pounded on my 7.5 for many years

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nobody still answered my question so what can I do now can I build the rear end into a Posi and please explain what rear end it is I have a 350 with offset Skinnys in the front drag radials in the back small cam long headers lots of bolt ons Now what do I do to turn that rear end into Posi

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My stock 79 will do the same thing. 305/ 350 auto/ 2.41 gears.
Tom
Can you tell me how to build whatever rear end that is n what identification it is called like a Ten bolt what? I still need it identified
Something may be off other than your rear. My all stock, 160? hp ‘85, with 2.41s and no posi will light up the right rear at will.
Patrick
what kind of brakes are you using drums in the back?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,256 Posts
Reactions: 87ls5.3

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nobody still answered my question so what can I do now can I build the rear end into a Posi and please explain what rear end it is I have a 350 with offset Skinnys in the front drag radials in the back small cam long headers lots of bolt ons Now what do I do to turn that rear end into Posi
I answered your question the other day. It looks to be a stock El Camino GM 7.5" 10 bolt. Pretty much all the G-body rear ends are the same, except for the few that came with 8.5"s (which yours is not). You really don't need any more information than that to order parts for it. If you just want to put a posi in it, you can go to Yukon gear's site, put your Elco's information in and it'll tell you all that you'll need. To put a posi in, you need the limited slip differential itself, a master install kit with bearings, and probably a ring and pinion while you're in there. Maybe put a set of Moser axles in it while you're at it through Summit racing too. Working on rear ends is a bit of a black magic though and based off your comments you may want to take it to a diff and transmission shop to do it correctly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stock 7.5 but I did put a used LSD from a camaro after many passes with the stock 2.73 gears & went to a 700R4

this is good kit
Please excuse my ignorance as I am right above a beginner enthusiast.radials I’m guessing are not slicks but do you have a lot of grip as well right? I will not be super charging or turbo in my car I have simply put every bolt on you can to this engine and freed up the exhaust with some long headers so no I don’t think I would be needing extreme posi rear end power/strength it is my daily and I just like doing donuts or burnouts maybe once a month I want to use whatever money I have left on paint So please tell me can I order this for my unit or should I take it apart first

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I answered your question the other day. It looks to be a stock El Camino GM 7.5" 10 bolt. Pretty much all the G-body rear ends are the same, except for the few that came with 8.5"s (which yours is not). You really don't need any more information than that to order parts for it. If you just want to put a posi in it, you can go to Yukon gear's site, put your Elco's information in and it'll tell you all that you'll need. To put a posi in, you need the limited slip differential itself, a master install kit with bearings, and probably a ring and pinion while you're in there. Maybe put a set of Moser axles in it while you're at it through Summit racing too. Working on rear ends is a bit of a black magic though and based off your comments you may want to take it to a diff and transmission shop to do it correctly.
I would love to do that except not get ripped off

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would love to do that except not get ripped off
Believe me I know the feeling which is why I'm rebuilding mine myself right now. I couldn't find a shop that would work on mine for under $800. Well if you really want to do it yourself I would recommend watching this series of videos:
An impact wrench is basically a requirement and a hydraulic shop press is good to have if not 100% required. You'll need a dial indicator and magnetic base as well, both of which can be gotten at Harbor Freight for around $30. I'd also recommend getting the pinion yoke holding tool he uses in the video too as there's no way to actually compress the crush washer without it. I maxed out my impact trying to do it, really needs to be done with this tool and 2 breaker bars.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts