El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me pick out the design to recover my bucket seats with!
I picked up a set of bucket Seat cores to go in my 70 Elky(i've had enough of the bright red interior- Anyway, the new seats need a complete rebuild with foam & covers, so I'm trying to decide what exactly to do with 'em.

Now here is the stock 1970 Elcamino/Chevelle Seat cover design... I really don't like em- The rib seams are all heat sealed, not stiched and the ribs are pretty flat... But they are the 'correct' covers...

The seats that I got are actually out of a 1968 Impala SS- and have this cover design. I think those look kinda cool, So one option could be just to get another set of those covers and just restore them the way they were made.

While searching for the 68 impala covers- I noticed a set for a 1967 Impala - I like these too- they actually look a little like the stock 1970 Velle/elky covers with the 2 bands of ribs running down the two sides- only these ribs are stiched instead of heat pressed- also the center ribs are a lot more defined than the stock 'flat' covers...

And finnaly- None of the above- Go with a custom made, all vinyl or all cloth cover. The upholsery guy i use can pretty much make anything I want- it just takes more $$$. If i did, it might look kinda like this, except not leather, and on the stock seat frames. I like the wide double stiched ribs in the center with the horizontal bars to break up the ribs. Anyway- Thats my idea for now...

What do you think? Stock, Replace the current, Go with a different years stock cover, or do a custom?

BTW- the interior color will be black & the door panels will return to the stock..

Thanks for any opinions!
Also- if you know a better stock cover design you want to suggest, PLEASE DO!!!!!

Thanks!
Ben

·
Registered
314 Posts
i think they'll all look decent, but id pick the last one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seats

First, as long as you're not keeping it stock go for the last set.
Second, I see you have a bench installed, is the shift on the column now?
Third, do you plan on moving the shift to the floor.
We have an 81 with a bench and column shift. Our 84 has the buckets (need re-upholstered). How hard is it to install buckets into a bench vehicle?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts