El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I bought a manual online but it was in such a bad quality and badly copied so I can't read evertyhing I need to know to make the service of my el camino right.

So can anyone please help me with how much engine oil, gearbox oil and stuff I need to pour in.

I am about to change engine-oilfilter aswell, as filter in the gearbox.

Other things I'm changing is:

fuelfilter, sparkplugs and sparkplug-wiring, airfilter.

Any help is appreciated!

Sorry for my poor english. I hope you understand and can help me.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Your english is fine, Teddy. Welcome to NECOA. The engine takes five quarts of oil with a filter change (not sure what that is in liters). Is the gearbox automatic? Do you know if it is the TH350 or TH400?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for response. It is an automatic TH350. 1 quarts is 946ml and a litre is 1000ml os it's almost the same.

Thanks / T

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Alright some of you guys that have recently had the pan off your TH350, how much fluid did it take. Been a while since I had one off so I don't remember. Seems like it don't take much.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you just take the pan off the TH350 and replace the filter, you're looking at four or five liters of transmission fluid. You want DEXRON type transmission fluid, by the way. Don't use Type F. There probably isn't a drain plug in the transmission pan (although there might be, if it's an aftermarket pan). If it's an aftermarket pan, it will likely take more fluid, too.

The engine takes about 5 liters of oil, probably 10W-30, depending on how large the filter is. Put on the new filter, put in four quarts, start it and let it build oil pressure. Turn it off, let it sit for 10 minutes or so, and then check the oil level. Add oil to bring it up to the "FULL" mark.

What is your native language? I'm sure your English is better than our attempt at whatever you normally speak/write.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot for all the info. When I bought oil this last friday he gave me 5 qt. of Pennzoil ATF Dexron III and 6 qt. Pennzoil SAE 20W-50. I hope that is ok.

My native language is Swedish. I don't know why but it felt like I forgot alot of words in english lately. I have a hard time to come up with the right words.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
about my ignition distributor

I want to ask if I need to replace anything in my ignition distributor now when I change sparkplugs. But if it is a certain model I can't / don't need to change some parts right?

So can you tell me what I have?

I hope I will be able to attach a photo here.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
It looks like your vacuum advance is broken on that dizzy. I see no hose on it but I don't know if you removed it???:dontknow:
Donny

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That 20W50 is too heavy for most daily driving. And it's really too heavy for winter in Sweden!

It looks like you have an aftermarket distributor. You might want to consider replacing it with an original equipment distributor or a new HEI distributor. A 1971 would have come with a points distributor, but if you have all the connections for an HEI (and it looks like you do), that would be a very good replacement.

Can you show us a photo of the carburetor?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Actually, based upon the sticker on the module, that's an A1-Cardone remanufactured HEI. It should be a stock specification distributor for a '74-'78 Chevy. Normally they have the coil on top of the cap, and are very reliable low maintenance units. Change the cap and rotor as needed, and verify that your advance is working like it should. You don't have to use vacuum but you need to verify that you're getting enough via centrifugal, plus you may have a vacuum hose loose that's supposed to go to that vacuum advance. I'm not familiar with that coil you have, but the factory stuff is more than adequate for just about any power level. My two cents, Patrick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are right donny, I didn't know when I took the photo, but some guys that tried to help me with my carburetor told me the hose wasn't on. They said someone maybe removed it cause the car sounded "better" without. But now I have it connected. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am really happy to see alot of people wants to help me, I really appreciate it.

About the oil. The guy I bought the oil from knew I was using my car as an everyday car. Though I am not gonna use it at winter, they put loads of salt on our roads so it will rust away pretty fast if I do.

But I guess I should buy some other oil then. Should it be like you posted before? That 10W-30?

I think the thing with the HEI coil and what to know to get is very confusing. Some people told me to try to change carburetor from my holley to something like edelbrock or rochester. I'll probably meet a guy tomorrow that might help me a bit.

Here's some photos of my Holley.

Hope it is enough for you. I know I didn't get that special number on the photos but I can post it later or tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Well, another welcome from Texas, and I'll keep my spelling correct for you (I usually spell the way a word sounds). I had worked with an Engelke a long time ago, and he also had a Swedish ancestory. I also have an email buddy in Sweden that I'm trying to convince to come over and visit.

If you are going to exchange carbs, I'd go with a Rochester quadrajet (NOT a Carter quadrajet). If you do, you may have to exchange the intake manifold for it to fit properly. In one of the pictures, it looks like the cover is off the vacuum advance on the HEI. If so, since you have mostly ACCEL parts, you can replace with an ACCEL advance. Also, where you take the vacuum from will make a difference. Manifold vacuum is taken from below the throttle plates (on the base of the carb), and ported vacuum is taken from above the throttle plates (middle part of the carb). It will be up to you to decide which gives the performance you want. I'm not getting into that argument now. There are plenty of guys here who will help you with whatever problem you have.

AND, your English is MUCH better than my Swedish, which is nonexistant!!!:beer:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If the current Holley works OK, no need to change it unless you want to improve fuel mileage. Probably more trouble than it's worth to change it if you're not using the original intake manifold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Bruce

Cool to hear you have worked with another Engelke. In Sweden we are few with the surname Engelke. The name is german from beginning. Did he say from where in sweden he had ancestory? What kind of work did you do?

Also thanks alot to you for ideas. I think I would like to change to a more economical carb. But we'll se. Also thanks to mrblanche. I want to improve fuel mileage, it costs me too much at the moment.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
An original Quadrajet would greatly improve the fuel mileage over that Holley. There is a company called Mountain Man Carbs that can build you one for a very reasonable price (less than $300). You would need an intake manifold that is closer to stock; the Edelbrock 2101 is very close to the original aluminum manifolds used on the stock engines through the 1980s. It's available here for less than $150. I see you have an Edelbrock manifold already.

Can anyone tell if that intake manifold is a dual plane or single plane, and otherwise identify it?

It all depends on what you're willing to pay to save money, right?

And, of course, it depends on your skill level. The Chevy small-block engine is what most of us grew up with, so it's a known quantity.

Just in passing, my wife and I had a vacation in Sweden about 4 years ago, at the expense of Volvo Trucks. I broke my wrist in the Stockholm train station, falling down a flight of stairs when I got tangled up in a suitcase.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Teddy, I worked with him in the U.S. Air Force a long time ago. Actually, he worked for me, and that would be in Avionics - aircraft electronics. In our case, Electronic Countermeasures, now called Electronic Warfare. We never got into his ancestory very deeply, so I have no idea where, in Sweden, his ancestors came from. Now, my current friend, I believe is somewhere in central Sweden, but I'd have to ask again to know where.

If I can help you any further, just let me know. The Rochester quadrajet is about the most economical, and it's also easy to work on. One thing that comes into consideration in carbs. I have an Edlebrock Performer intake on my '56 with a Holly wide bore carb. The Elky has an Edlebrock Performer Q-Jet intake and a Carter q-jet (I HATE Carter carbs, they're made for Chrysler products).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it really pricy for me to let Mountain Man Carb build me one and then have it shipped to sweden? Shouldn't it be a fine carb out there, like used for a ok price? I think I can change the manifold, but I can get some help from guys here where I live too I think.

Cool that Volvo payed for a vacation here, I might just have passed you some time then because from time to time I have been delivering packages to Volvos all diffrent factoryplants. Specially Volvo Cars, and the small town

It sucked that you got injured though :( I hope they took good care of you here.

I live in, that's 60km from Gothenburg is called Borås and here they build the chassis for the busses. Also just about 20km out in the woods from Borås they have a "kind-of-secret" car racing track. Would be awesome to ride it. :)

See the link, it's pretty massive
https://www.google.com/maps?q=borås&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=57.775662,12.760019&spn=0.044624,0.132093&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=66.320747,135.263672&t=h&hnear=Borås,+Sverige&z=14

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm hoping someone can identify the manifold you have right now. It might be fine. I'm changing my intake manifold currently, and it takes a lot of removal of stock stuff to get at it.

My wife and I were on the Volvo Owner/Operator Advisory Board for about 8 years, and that trip was our reward. Had a good time. Didn't get the wrist looked at until we got home to the U.S.

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
Teddy,
I'm seeing what looks like the Performer RPM dual-plane; perhaps an older version. Does any one else think so? Edelbrock's single-planes are the Torker/Torker II and the Victor which have very different runner designes. If you look at the front runner in the pictures, it's tall and thick, therefore wouldn't be a basic Performer. You should be able to eliminate that spacer underneath the carb for use of the Quadrajet. Do you drive this car everyday or 4-5 days a week? If not, how soon will the $200-300 investment in a Quadrajet repay itself in fuel mileage? Quadrajet carbs are great, but if the Holley is working well and delivering acceptable fuel mileage, then I would consider keeping it.

FYI 1 quart=32 ounces
1 liter=33.814 ounces

Glad you found some 10w-30 oil. The other stuff is a common motorcycle engine oil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts