El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i currently have a 327ci engine with somewhere between 375 and 400hp. it is mated to a th350 trans with 2.73 rear gears. love it on the highway due to such a low rpm(about 2000 at 70mph)but it is a slow old dog off the line. i am putting in a built 200-4R transmission come december, yes it is a ways off but still i need to plan. i want to put some new gears in to get a little pep off the line, preferably to launch like all get out. but i dont want to sacrifice to many rpms on the highway because i do drive a decent amount of highway with my going to school 3 hours from home and the desire to go home is sometimes strong, what would you guys suggest for a good street strip gear with that 200-4R trans? i was thinking 373 but i was hoping i could get maybe a 411 and not sacrifice to much millage because of the over drive. y'alls input is always appreciated. :texas:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I am also 327 w t350 2.73, marshall I have contemplated a 3.08, with the cost of gas, I am satisfied with my ET.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see im figuring that if i can keep my rpms close to where they are i wont be to worried about gas. and since i am getting an OD trans i find this to be an opportunity to upgrade my differential gears. just dont know which one will keep the final highway rpms down close to where they are now. seriously want some launch though cause this getting beat off the line by fords is getting really annoying.:secret:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
3.23 or 3.43, I have a 2004r and am in the process of putting 3.23's in. I am coming from 2.73. If I calculated properly, I should be running 2.1k @ 70 mph. To me, that's perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone know that calculations for rpms at 70 if i get 373? how bout 411? if it helps my tires stand 26 inches tall.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would wait till you put the overdrive in before the changing the gears. I have a turbo 350 with 3.73's and the engine is spinning pretty good at highway speeds. just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah im waiting, but since the over drive will be paid for by my father as a christmas present, i am making plans to save up now for the gears that will best compliment the OD trans, gotta start saving now but also want an idea of what to to get so i dont keep looking at the wrong gears. so yeah the trans goes in first, but what gears should i get to give some off the line boost. seriously i got beat off the line by a ford taurus today... i caught up and out ran him, but that off the line is annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see i like those numbers a lot better! lol. idk if i could keep traction with the 411 gears, but i will find a way to make it work lol.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Psshhh who needs traction! Just get a completely locked rear. No LSD. Then you will keep traction.

Did a peelout that pretty much turned into a burnout because of how fast my wheels were spinnin across an ENTIRE intersection today lol! So who needs traction! No fun with it! The 1 minute sprinkle of rain before might have helped but not much!

My speedo had to have been reading atleast 40 mph lol! Moving about 10 mph!

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know that feeling well. im thinking of getting an auburn posi for it to help traction. that or a wave trac.... expansive but they look like they hold up.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Deffinately posi! I got an LSD and when i turn right and peelout it still only spins the right wheel even after i straighten out while its still spining. But when i am going straight from a srop both spin.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, both units im lookin at are posi, or similar. the wave trac thing is different in many ways, but idk if it is work the extra 400 bucks lol

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i think your tach must be off because i have 273 S in my 86 with a 700r4 and am turning 2050 at 75. in overdrive. i would run at least 373 s . a 200r4 will turn 411 s into about the same as your 273 s are now on the highway.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maybe you have smaller tires in the back? ive had mine checked a couple times and it is set right and supposedly is accurate

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
With my 0.64 OD I was running 2250 at 75 with a 3:42, dropped to 2150 with a 3:23.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm running 373 at 75 I'm turning 2600 with the true track I like it I want 410 but I think if I go any higher something other than the tires are g0ing to give

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah well since by the time i get the gears and housing and posi unit, i will have upgraded everything in the driveline to handle the abuse i will put on it. only worry is the axle it self and worse case i save up and buy a moser one.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
biggest issue will be keeping traction if i get either of those gears. anyone got any hints for traction on my 4th gen?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts