El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I finally decided to drop the engine back in after doing the cam swap. The engine really never left the car, all I did was unbolt the Engine mount through bolts, jack the engine up from under the oil pan, and let it rest on wooden blocks. I put the wooden blocks in between the engine frame mounts and the engine mount brackets, giving the engine just enough boost to get the oil pan off

Fast forward to today, and i cant seem to get the engine back down.
Here's the problem. I raised the engine off of the blocks, removed the blocks, and began to lower the engine, only to notice somehow, the engine has moved a whole inch forward. In other words, the engine mount brackets wont go around the mounts, instead the brackets sit ontop of the mounts due to the engine somehow being forward.

The engine just wont budge back, I've pried in places trying to move it back, ive hit it with a sledge hammer (with wood in between).

Does anyone have any ideas of for one how this happened and secondly how to fix this? :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
so what did you do

:poke:
So today I finally decided to drop the engine back in after doing the cam swap. The engine really never left the car, all I did was unbolt the Engine mount through bolts, jack the engine up from under the oil pan, and let it rest on wooden blocks. I put the wooden blocks in between the engine frame mounts and the engine mount brackets, giving the engine just enough boost to get the oil pan off

Fast forward to today, and i cant seem to get the engine back down.
Here's the problem. I raised the engine off of the blocks, removed the blocks, and began to lower the engine, only to notice somehow, the engine has moved a whole inch forward. In other words, the engine mount brackets wont go around the mounts, instead the brackets sit ontop of the mounts due to the engine somehow being forward.

The engine just wont budge back, I've pried in places trying to move it back, ive hit it with a sledge hammer (with wood in between).

Does anyone have any ideas of for one how this happened and secondly how to fix this?

:dontknow:
You said you did a Cam swap ,i have done many,never pulled one out through the oil pan !!!!:poke::poke::texas:

·
Registered
571 Posts
fixitman:
heres one for you ,the cam in my 80-229 V-6 came out the oil pan , well at least most of it, about a pound of shavings when the lobes rounded themselves LOL..... the rest came out the conventional manner, all the lobes looked like bearing journals !

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, no you don't pull it out the oil pan, but would you PM me the model number of the Timing cover you have that doesn't require removing the oil pan? And believe me, a 30 year old oil pan gasket doesn't seal the best :poke: But you tell me, I'll mail you the 500 pieces it crumpled into as I scraped it off, and maybe you can use the rubber seals as jack stands from how solid they are?

Oil leak, fixed :nanawrench:

And yes i did figure out the problem with the cam spinning! Sorry I never updated it. Turns out when I cleaned out the intake valley, a little cleaner got onto the cam bearings and dried them out. So what I did was put the cam in, spun it using a breaker bar for leverage, pulled it out, lubed it with assembly lube, and repeated like 10 times till it finally spun easily. Now the whole engine spins smoothly.

I am considering pulling the tranny bolt, I did notice something as I looked under the tranny. The driveshaft yoke is out about an INCH! I saw one inch of shiny metal among the rust covered driveshaft and yoke. I am going to try "love tapping" the yoke with a rubber mallet, to see if it will go in :dontknow: Maybe its at a weird angle being out that much, causing enough friction to not slip back in :dontknow:

My uncle recommended I pop the U joint and drop the drive shaft if the hammer doesn't work? Anyone else agree with this?
It would be a good time then to fix the leaky rear seal on the tranny, that would be an EASY job (but yet, nothings easy, EVER)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Let me get this straight...the engine is still attached to the trans and drive line?
you jacked the whole drive train up?
The hammer is not going to work ...your going to break something.
Unbolt the trans and drive shaft,slide it to the rear...mount your motor then re attach the trans.:secret:

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you can see an inch of your yoke your problem is most likely the splines on your tailshaft are the yoke are not lined up. A hammer would only cause you more headaches. Drop the driveshaft, and reattach after the eng/trans is in place.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
jacking up the engine would pull the shaft out a little and could bind up. try the rubber mallet if that doesnt work do as your uncle suggested and remove the shaft and let it settle down. do not beat on the shaft or yoke too hard as you can cause damage to the shaft and tranny internally.try putting it in nuetral sometimes that will take the pressure off of the splines and let it slide back in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts