El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when I got my 87 El Camino, It was primer grey. The sticker in the glove box was gone, and the door panel stickers are to faded to read anymore. I contacted chevy and asked if they could give me to paint code or original window sticker from the VIN, and they said they could not. They redirected me to a site that sells you the original stickers, ecsvin I think it's called, but it wouldn't be able to use mine, since you can't see anything on my door sticker. Do any of you know a way to get my original paint color code from the VIN? I've been looking around at the truck and I'm pretty sure it was a black or charcoal color before, from the little spots where the primer wasn't at, but I would like to be sure for my restoration. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

-Gauge

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I might be mistaken BUT I believe you can find the information you're looking for on your RPO code tag. Mine is on the firewall, opposite of my dash cluster.
Find that RPO code tag and there's threads here that break down the numbers and letters for you. (Original paint, interior, etc.)
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The tags got moved to the glovebox in 84.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Gauge, look behind the door panels, on top of the headliner or under the seat those are all places the build sheet can be found.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Gauge, I found mine in two places, the glove box and a metal tag under the hood. I have a 84 SS. The metal tag is under the hood between the wiper and the brake master cylinder, its held there by to sheet metal screws so you can take it of, the color codes are on there on my 84, check yours. Ken

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a lot of the ones from mexico dont have the cowl tag. try taking off the sill plates to see if the original color is still there. .probably the easiest to get to

1 - 8 of 8 Posts