El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
hello im trying to take off my ignition cause i broke my key and theres a small peice in there i took everything off expect the plate i know theres a special tool to take that plate off but im trying to find out other way to take it off any1 help please im trying to do this before monday save money n time

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You could borrow the tool from an auto parts store such as autozone.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
if you are talking about the lock plate........get someone to help you, have them push down the lock plate 180 deg apart with two screwdrivers, then you can pry the lock ring off the shaft and remove it...thats the way we did it in the 70's before the lock plate removal tool was around...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can i do it with a flat screw drivers? so u sayin press down the plate then push the button.. and the plate will come off?

·
Registered
106 Posts
No... He's saying that there is a wire ring that snaps in a groove just under the splines on the end of the shaft. Use your fingers to press the lock plate down the shaft, it isn't going to move much. Now use something to hold pressure on the plate so you can get flat blade screwdrivers under the wire ring and pry it up out of the groove. Once its out of the groove release the pressure on the plate and wire ring and plate will slide off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no luck i press down the button and tired to take off the plate2 with flat screw driver...:dontknow:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I believe I would either go buy the tool to depress the plate, borrow one or rent one, you will save yourself a lot of aggrivation and possible injuries when what ever you used to try to push it down slip.
Those rings can be contemptable and usally do not cooperate with out a press to hold them far enough away from the ring to remove them. The ring must come off before the plate.

Been there done that, I bought the press after my first attempt with out one over 30 years ago. It made life way easier.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
I believe I would either go buy the tool to depress the plate, borrow one or rent one, you will save yourself a lot of aggrivation and possible injuries when what ever you used to try to push it down slip.
Those rings can be contemptable and usally do not cooperate with out a press to hold them far enough away from the ring to remove them. The ring must come off before the plate.

Been there done that, I bought the press after my first attempt with out one over 30 years ago. It made life way easier.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike
x2, and after you warp the plate trying to get it off without the tool, you still will have to install it, which is much harder than taking it off without the tool.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
A small piece of loose broken key might come out with a q-tip with gum on the end. The tool is free to rent at parts store.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
X2 on renting the tool. I have 2 toys with matching olds interiors and matching. 3 spoke
Olds steering wheels. I would not try this without the tool. Saves alot of 4the letter words also ...
cheers.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's an old Chevy you still need the key? Ha-ha but I know what you mean too bad there but like,a Ford and you just push the button

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
auto zone loaner tool

OEM/Steering wheel lock plate remover with reversible adapter

Part Number: 27044
Alternate Part Number: AZ745

Eligible for FREE 2-Day Shipping
learn more | sign in

Features & Benefits
OEM automotive specialty tools are designed to perform day after day in any environment. Our engineers design tools that maximize both performance and budget. OEM tools out-perform the competition time after time.
  • Simplifies the removal and installation of the lock plate snap rings when servicing steering wheel columns
  • Extended yoke services both tilt-wheel and telescoping columns
  • Adapter is reversible with 9/16 In. and 18 threads on one side and 14 mm and 1.5 on the other
  • Heat treated for strength

1 - 20 of 25 Posts