El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body's thoughts or advices would be appreciated, this morning i was just going over the 86 Elky 305's quadrajet being just regasketed i was retightening the bolts and i put my hand on the driver side valve cover and i was like what the hell it was ticking all over the valve cover u could really feel it so i felt the other side and nothing, i popped my 80 elco and felt both side nothing...

so obviously somethings wrong here, is it too dangerous to drive as its my wench's daily driver 35 miles roundtrip... I cant believe all those time it went to the shop they never said anything, possibly it just started?

p.s i'm hard of hearing- so i never knew about it until i put my hands on it:dontknow:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...you could drive it around,until something really breaks....

...and after all of this damage,I get to replace this...

..with this...

..so,I'd pull the valve covers off and check for loose rockers...:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Could be a rocker arm out of adjustment. Pull the valve cover and check the rockers for proper adjustment.
suks2bu37:nanawrench:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be a rocker arm out of adjustment. Pull the valve cover and check the rockers for proper adjustment.
suks2bu37:nanawrench:
i actually pulled the valve, but i cant get it out of the ac compressor way- quick question is it safe to pull apart the a/c compressor without any pressure coming out or anything else

im readin up the chilton on that and taking my breakfast as i type this before i get back to the car

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
check to make sure the cover isnt on upside down.if put on upside down the pushrod end of the rocker arms will hit the valve cover.you should be able to feel each rocker arm hitting the cover on the carb side.either way pull it to see whats going on inside

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just finished investigating... So far clueless- its my first time seeing under a valve cover, so far i was really impressed with how clean it is, no gunks or anything like that... PO said he did the rebuild personally and hes no MECHANIC!

I've tightened the rocker arms some more, and listened to it run, it did make terrile sounds but as soon as i tightened them up the noise was gone, thus the knocking feeling is n ot there anymore seems it was from loose rocker arms?? but thanks god if thats the case

it was a good experience for me :):smileyb:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've disconnected a/c compressor from the brackets and swung it out of the way a little - do not break either of the two a/c hoses connected to compressor or you will loose anything in there and expose the system to contaminants.

thnks for letting me know, i was like 5 minutes away from breaking free the connection right before i saw your post-

after figuring out how to get the compressor out of the way the job becomes fairly simple... am not looking forwrd to do the passenger side with the WEB of hoses and air pump hoses

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but there has to be a reason that the rocker (s) were loose. Maybe they were a bit loose originally (?) or possibly there's some wear occurring, like the cam lobes etc.
You may want to check it again after another 1000 miles, to be sure where you are at.

You need to find out how to adjust all the rocker arms to spec. Just tightening them isn't the way to go. A bit too tight, and you may wind up with a burned valve etc.
If you have a shop that does work for you, have them adjusted there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need to find out how to adjust all the rocker arms to spec. Just tightening them isn't the way to go. A bit too tight, and you may wind up with a burned valve etc.
If you have a shop that does work for you, have them adjusted there.[/QUOTE]

the problem seemed to go away- so i will figure out what to do with it as soon as humanely ($$) possible.. my 80 elky is missing entire bushings on the left side control arm and needs ball joints, so i'm left with this 86' so called valve problems... as of now its not making any noise but u mentioned exhaust burn so now i have that information it will be hard for me to even start the car to take it to the shop :dontknow:

It killed me to know "tightening them just enough" wouldnt be okay..
i will deftinely take it to the local shop as soon as i can or for the cost buy my own torque bar??... Will see what happens

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
You don't need a torque wrench to adjust valves. I won't get into the procedure here, its a bit lengthy, but really not that difficult if you take your time. Do you have enough confidence in yourself to attempt it? Steelybill had a good point that the cam may be wearing, a visual inspection can usually spot this If you're unsure, maybe you could find someone to help you. I'd love to help you, but CT is a bit of a drive.
Good luck, keep us posted.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts