El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Needed glue

Back Window Glue NEEDED 86 El Camino????
Glue Name ?
Glue Type ?
Where To Purchase?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Take the glass and have 2 helpers hold it in place. Mark its proper location with a strip of masking tape on each side. Place the tape across the body and glass. Cut the tape leaving a piece on the body and it's corresponding piece on the glass.

Window out of the car clean the edges with a good wax remover/degreaser or alcohol. Run a strip of 3M Windo-Weld ribbon around the inside edge leaving the backing paper on. Press it down evenly all the way around to be sure it's not going to move. Make your splice at the bottom middle.

Now remove the backing paper and carefully with your helpers lower the glass into position so that the tape strips line up. Get it right the first time! You won't be able to move it once the ribbon makes contact. Run the heel of your hand around the window tapping it gently to seat the ribbon. When that's done go around the entire edge between the glass and body with 3M Windo-Weld Sealer in a caulking gun. You can remove any you get on the car or glass with the degreaser or alcohol. Install your moldings and you're done. Try not to get it wet for 24 hours.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
1,630 Posts
Glass installer

I suggest you get a professional installer, it shouldn't be that much, and let him install it for you. The way the rear glass curves makes it a little difficult to seal and hold on. If you must do it your self go to a glass installer and buy the product they use, they might even give you some hints on the proper way to install the glass. Take care, Tony.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
You can get this at auto zone.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
3M™ Windo-Weld™ Super Fast Urethane part #08609

NAPA sells it, comes in a tube and can be applied with a caulk gun.

I use it at work to install windshields and used it on the rear window of my Elky.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
what is the part number At Autozone
It's on the shelf just ask for window seal it's not behind the counter you get it yourself but I will look and see if I can get one. I think the box is in the trash be right back.:nanawrench::nanawrench: Part # MW38115 That's on the box
This stuff is great I used to seal my heater core box almost a year ago and it's still soft. I even used it to fill in a crack in the dash smoothed it out and used a women's eyebrow pencil to match the color on the dash. Filled the crack and with a wet finger you can smooth it out perfect. Your never going to touch it anyways just when cleaning and be carful and the crack is almost invisible . Much better than before.:secret: Get it warm first so it's super soft and it will fill in the crack.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
69 SS396 Do you need to use sealer with 3M™ Windo-Weld™ Super Fast Urethane part #08609

·
2,566 Posts
Some guys just use the sealer w/o the ribbon because like I said once it touches it's stuck. But with the ribbon and the sealer is the better way.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
factory used just sealer so wouldnt adding the ribbon change the location of the window from factory???

·
2,566 Posts
No factory didn't use just sealer. I worked on these cars since they were new. I started in 1978 right out of high school.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
3m primer !

Take the glass and have 2 helpers hold it in place. Mark its proper location with a strip of masking tape on each side. Place the tape across the body and glass. Cut the tape leaving a piece on the body and it's corresponding piece on the glass.

Window out of the car clean the edges with a good wax remover/degreaser or alcohol. Run a strip of 3M Windo-Weld ribbon around the inside edge leaving the backing paper on. Press it down evenly all the way around to be sure it's not going to move. Make your splice at the bottom middle.

Now remove the backing paper and carefully with your helpers lower the glass into position so that the tape strips line up. Get it right the first time! You won't be able to move it once the ribbon makes contact. Run the heel of your hand around the window tapping it gently to seat the ribbon. When that's done go around the entire edge between the glass and body with 3M Windo-Weld Sealer in a caulking gun. You can remove any you get on the car or glass with the degreaser or alcohol. Install your moldings and you're done. Try not to get it wet for 24 hours.

If you want it to stick ( use 3m urethane and 3m primer) the primer is a brush on,it comes with its own brush. will never leak again ..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just had a glass company come to my house and install a used windsheild for $50.00. Got a price on back window while he was here. To remove ,reseal and install was $100.00. These people do this everyday so they know what their doing. Check with some glass installers in your area.It may be cheaper than you think. Would have cost me a little over $30.00 for 3M window ribbon at Advance Auto so $50 for a professional to install was a no brainer.

·
2,566 Posts
Just go to an auto body paint supply and ask them for the ribbon, sealer and primer.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I Just Called Napa They Say Use Butyl Caulking Comes in a 11.5 oz Tube.....
Question did the Factory Use to install back window?? Did they use Gaskets and urathane

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
86 El camino window have GASKET???

What did the Factory El Camino Rear Window install with???

·
2,566 Posts
A heavy bead type sealer similar to 3M Windo-Weld Ribbon followed by caulking. What's so hard to understand? These are not gaskets! Gaskets are just that gaskets. They surround the glass and then the glass with the gasket already attached are installed by using a wire inside the gasket and soapy water. You or a helper presses down on the glass from the outsside while someone inside pulls the wire to seat the other edge of the gasket over the flange of the windshield opening. Gaskets are used on cars like old VW Beetles.
This really isn't such a complicated issue.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts