El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. My Grandfather recently passed and our family is a bit lost when it comes to his El Camino. He has a 1970 El Camino Custom V8 with a 350. I've been looking at the VIN info and have a bit of a handle on that info. But, because of his will, we need to sell it and divide up the money among the Great Grandchildren! Here is the info that my cousin gave me about it. Hopefully someone can help with some guidance! We are not sure, but doubt it's all original. Here's what I was told about it. 350 2 barrel, automatic tranny, aftermarket am/fm tape player, aftermarket cowl induction hood (faux type), rust repair in both pillars behind side windows, no rust underneath at all, all custom stainless exhaust, aftermarket air cleaner, manifolds were ceramic coated, has newer air-bag suspension, and 95,000 miles. I'm just looking for a ballpark for a current fair price for selling it. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
823 Posts
From watching Meacham Auctions I'd have to say the collector car market is pretty "soft" right now. I'm guessing four to six grand.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. My Grandfather recently passed and our family is a bit lost when it comes to his El Camino. He has a 1970 El Camino Custom V8 with a 350. I've been looking at the VIN info and have a bit of a handle on that info. But, because of his will, we need to sell it and divide up the money among the Great Grandchildren! Here is the info that my cousin gave me about it. Hopefully someone can help with some guidance! We are not sure, but doubt it's all original. Here's what I was told about it. 350 2 barrel, automatic tranny, aftermarket am/fm tape player, aftermarket cowl induction hood (faux type), rust repair in both pillars behind side windows, no rust underneath at all, all custom stainless exhaust, aftermarket air cleaner, manifolds were ceramic coated, has newer air-bag suspension, and 95,000 miles. I'm just looking for a ballpark for a current fair price for selling it. Thanks in advance for any help!
From watching Meacham Auctions I'd have to say the collector car market is pretty "soft" right now. I'm guessing four to six grand.

the other problem is you don't have any pics posted nor any info (VIN #) on how original it is. as for it being a '70, those are generally the most desirable. depending on value, you may just want to buy the car from the estate yourself to hand it down to your kids. there's sentimental value and then there's market value.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
(DE,NJ,PA) - I'm currently in Southern DE - where are you located? I may be able to assist.

Also, it isn't an low miles, number matching, big block SS... so that rules out any crazy money you may have been hoping for. I take it you don't have the build sheet, so have you actually looked into the car and found anything related to the build? (RPO codes)?

The air-ride suspension can help/hurt the sale depending on how original someone wants to keep it. The rust repair will help/hurt it depending on who did the job and how good of a job was done. If it's loaded with bondo... find someone who doesn't know cars. If it was properly welded, you are in luck, especially if the paint matches. (you can tell the amount of bondo by use of a fridge magnet. if it doesn't stick... run). Again, not a crazy money car but defiantly worth something.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Here's some that have been listed for a year that haven't sold.

https://www.carsforsale.com/1970-chevrolet-el-camino-for-sale-C1058480

I just bought a 69 $3700.00 its not an SS but looks good with a lot of new stuff. The engine didn't run but it's a 62 327 small journal forged crank so its worth money. dropped in a 454 $600.00

I'm going to start high $8,500.00 and come down so they think they got deal and they will I went through and have been fixing everything.

Just letting you know there's trucks all over if you know how to find them. Give the grandchildren $3000.00 to split between them. I'm sure they will be happy and keep the truck!!!!!!!:secret::secret:

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
Bob, sorry to hear your Grandpa is not here to help you with this.

Disclaimer:This is not intended as legal advice, just things to consider before asking your legal reps for advice.
If you are the Successor Trustee or Executor of Granpa's estate, you could have a fiduciary responsibility to obtain a reasonable market value for his assets. It sounds like that is what your cousin and you are attempting to do.

It is easier with newer cars. You use Kelly Blue Book. Optionally take it to a dealer for a written offer and then decide how to sell it.

If you are the Executor or Successor Trustee, depending on the "Beneficiaries", it may be best to obtain a written appraisal of the car. It only takes one Beneficiary (or their spouse) to turn things into a legal mess. There will still be "fix up", selling costs and possibly holding costs to obtain the price of the appraisal and even then, it might not be obtained. Depending on the State, there may also be safety and smog compliance costs as well as registration catch up requirement costs.

There is a price "Guide"" for new and older cars called NADA.
http://www.nadaguides.com/

For older vehicles, rarity (350 2 bbl is not rare) and condition matter.
Without images, especially of the rust prone areas, no one here can give you a real guess. A major difference of the orange 69 above is that car is a So Cal car and likely has never seen snow. It's frame appears very solid and there has been sheet metal replacement. With a DE car, there is a chance for more rust. The '70 that I purchased 18 months ago has 97,000 miles on the odometer. However, is that 297,000 or 497,000 miles?

Bob, the easiest way to post images of the car is to use the GARAGE feature on this site.
Look to the right of this post and you will see a link to my GARAGE and info on my '70.
To set up your GARAGE,
* Save the images of Grandpa's '70 in on your computer.
* On the top menu bar click on "USER CP" user control panel
* Then on the left menu, click on MANAGE GARAGE
* Then click on ADD VEHICLE and follow the instructions to add images and text. You can add three images in each section, yet for now add images for review.

·
Registered
932 Posts
because i am somewhat of a smart acss , when I am asked to make an offer i respond as in I dont want to seem insulting but would free to next to nothing be fair . When I sell , I of course I want a zillion bucks . I want to punch that guy on pawn stars when an appraiser comes in, sez an item is worth $6000 and he offers $400 bucks settles for $950 and sez he will sell it for $5500.
of course thats hollywood.
What ever you think be patient , get YOUR price , I know from past issues with family , all THEY want is the money . This is your Granpas , i gotta think it was his pride and joy .
And if your are a believer ,,, He is watching you . sell from your heart.
may He be at peace , my condolences to all .

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
It could be helpful to see if GrandPa had collector car insurance on his '70. Sometimes this is a separate policy from the other vehicles. A number of Collector Car policies are written on "stated value" or "agreed upon value". This basically becomes the amount paid if the car is totaled. Frequently the value is overstated. Not to rip off the insurance company, but to keep the ebb and flow of pricing from causing an unexpected surprise following a rise in market price after the renewal date. It also can cover scheduled improvements. The higher the policy value, the higher the insurance premium. As an example, the insurance company for my '70 came out 4 times to take images (also let them confirm it is in the garage). They would only insure for an agreed upon value 33% higher than I asked. Don't be surprised to find an insured value that exceeds the price the car can be sold. Hard to sell and get top $. Hard to replace our best friend car without paying a solid price.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Go on your LOCAL CL and see what others are selling their 3rd gen for...base your price from there...prices vary greatly depending on location...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Go on your LOCAL CL and see what others are selling their 3rd gen for...base your price from there...prices vary greatly depending on location...
Solid advice.

To fathom a guess, a 70 in good shape (doesn't need paint, runs just fine) should fetch in the neighborhood of 3-5k. if it's in amazing shape (new paint job, brand new motor, new suspension/exhaust/brakes/etc) it might fetch 8-10, but that's probably pushing it pretty hard. From what you said, sounds like you probably fall into the first category.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts