El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my '82 where the A/C is stuck on the floor vents when starting the car but will eventually go to the right position after a varied amount of time, usually its within a minute or two but sometimes it can be a half hour of driving. The vacuum ball has been replaced already and the lines "seem" okay from what I've seen under the dash and in the engine bay. A knowledgeable source told me that usually something on the HVAC controls goes bad more often than the lines. Does anyone have any input or know where I can get a decent control unit?

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
the outside lines crack and break all the time, heat and 30yrs they get real brittle..
start at the ball make sure you get full vacuum in and out, check the check valve,,
bad thing about vacuum leaks they suck up dirt and trash..

if you don't find any leaks try some smoke, youll find it in 3 seconds..

the control head can/will leak from the 8-9 port valve,
replace the internal o-rings and grease them good..
and sometimes its the vacuum actuators get a hole in the diaphragm and leak..

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lines seem to be good still. I've physically inspected just about all of them and they're actually in decent shape despite their age. When I shut the AC off I can hear a wheezing coming from behind the controls so its either the control head or one of the actuators behind them. I guess being that it looks like purchasing a new unit is no longer an option then I'll try to rebuild the one I have. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts