El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting together my 72 Camino, I swapped the small block to a Big Block 454 bought from a buddy that he got out of another friends Nova that did low 11's and apparently is tickling 600HP, I have a brand new 3 core aluminum rad, 195 stat, Maradyne dual 12' fans with adjustable controller (2600cfm) that comes on very early, no bypass hose, but heater core is connected, nothing in front of the rad, I want to put in a trans cooler but haven't yet. I also swapped original dummy light dash to SS gauges with a brand new sending unit in the head. When I run the car the temps rise fairly quick to 215 on the gauge (within 5 min) and within a couple minutes the gauge is almost pegged at 250 but if I use an electric digital laser thermometer and test it externally right at the sending unit, it only shows maybe 200, but I have seen 220. Last night I took another factory style temp gauge, held it in the engine compartment and switched back and forth from that one to the one in the car and they matched pretty well, up to about 230 and then I just quit checking. it doesn't seem to overheat and blow out the coolant although before I put a new 16psi rad cap on, the old one that had 13psi stamped on it, did allow fluid to come out, I do not have an overflow, just a hose hanging, I think I need to do something about that, any suggestions? I have taken it for a drive and at 50-60 mph the temps do not come down at all, they just stay consistent at the 250 mark on the gauge. What do I need to do to cool this thing down? I was thinking of swapping the stat to a 180, possibly putting in the bypass hose, but other than that I'm at a loss. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
372 Posts
First make sure you don't have any air in your cooling system. I'd check your thermostat next. I recently bought thermostat that was defective when brand new (from Advance Auto). You can check your thermostat by putting it in a pan of water (you'll need a thermometer) and heating it until the the thermostat opens. My thermostat wouldn't open at all until after the water boiled for a while, then it barely opened up for a while and then would close back up. At what temp do your fans come on? I'm not familiar with Maradyne's products so I looked at their website. It looks like their dual 12"puller fans are very close to the radiator and may not be pulling enough air through the whole radiator.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm taking the stat out tonight to see how it works without it, and I will also test it to see where it actually opens, I'm also installing the bypass hose, the stat was new but that doesn't seem to matter these days. The fans are built in with the shroud and it lays against the fins with a soft rubber seal, it is slightly smaller than the whole core, I'll post a pic later when I get home. The fan set up has an adjustable thermostat, you turn a dial to set it, I had them coming on initially at probably 190 but soon turned it down, I don't know exactly when they come on but its early, probably 160 ish, I will also try and get a good reading on those to see exactly, I haven't been too concerned as they are coming on, and early.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I added the bypass hose and took the stat out, it stays a lot cooler now, shows 215 on the gauge but is 200 at the sending unit, it does flow thru the rad pretty fast, I’m probably going to start messing with restrictors to see if I can Get it a bit better. I have the fan controller turned down to the point where the fans come in at 100deg. Yesterday it was 31c where I am and it stayed constant, idling as well as o
01CD7812-31E1-4839-A101-FDCCF12E2487.jpeg E822E2FF-2E8C-49B8-8973-369A5A565891.jpeg n the hwy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
"Yesterday it was 31c where I am"

I'm sure you mean Fahrenheit but you really need a thermostat to get that engine warmed up quickly. Restrictors aren't good for street cars. I have always used 180 thermostats in the older Chevy engines and 195's in the newer engines. I've never have had an older Chevy engine (even modified high compression engines) get up to 200 degrees driving down the highway or idling with the AC on. Even on the the 100 degree days we get in the Texas summers. None of my older engines had electric fans either. They all had 17" diameter 7 blade Chevy fans, a heavy duty clutch and the factory fan shroud. Your engine looks great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts