El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 79 I can't get the speedo to work. I have cruise control. I have jacked up the car and removed the cable athe the cruise box and it turns when the wheels do. I have removed the other cable and turned it with a drill and the needle works. I have changed the cruise box with one from one of my parts cars that I know is good. Still no speedo. :? Can this problem be Electrical??? Help!!!!

·
Banned
881 Posts
Can this problem be Electrical???
No it's not an electrical problem. All 5th generation El Camino use a cable driven speedometer.

If the cable to the cruise box turns when you spin the rear wheels and the needle works when the other cable is turned with a drill, then it might be that one (or both) of the cable cores is not engaging properly at the cruise box.

:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
True true

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I got it fixed, It turns out that the gear housing in the tranny was worn out. It had enough to turn the cable when it was loose but not enough contact to drive the unit hooked up. Thanks for the help. I'm 17 and this is my first car my dad and I have built a pretty good one from 3 old ones. :D , Sherriff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts