El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 74 Elky I bought sat for 6 years. The motor and trany only have about 3K (est.)
since the rebuild. I have the paper work. So I need to drive it soon. I really hope the seals on the tranny are ok. I started the motor a couple of times and let it run each time for about half an hour. I couldn't drive it at that time untill I rebuilt the brakes. (rubber rot.)

So here is the question: If I have to use it. What ind of seal conditioner should I get. They all claim to stop leaks. Has anyone had experiance with one that works?

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Drive it first and see if you have a problem before you pour some chemical concoction into the engine and trans. Seals can sit on the shelf for years and still work just fine.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
put a pint of brake fluid in the trans the glycerin will soften the seals and will hepl loosen things up.it wont hurt it. drive it a couple weeks and change all of the fluids.by then anything acumulated durring storage will be washed into the pans and cleaned out durring service. drive it like an old lady for a week or so to get everything used to working again and it should be fine. cork gaskets if used during the original rebuild will tend to dry up and shrik durring long storage.so be prepared for possible leaks.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
When using the brake fluid trick in the tranny -MORE IS NOT BETTER! A little goes a long way.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
trans fluid has glycerin in it thats the part that goes away in atf.i have been a mechanic for over 40 years and have been doin what i recomend without a single problem. you can service the trans and do it again in a couple weeks. either way does the same thing,my way just saves you time,money and mess, its your choice.next time your hands are greesey pour some brake fluid on them and watch the greese come off,just dont get it near your paint

1 - 7 of 7 Posts