El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my 59' has a Grant Steering whell..not the prettiest,I did however get to see my car today and opened the glove box,i found the orginal horn cap..and would like to know what the rest of it looks like. I cant seem to find pics...I do know the Impalla steering wheel looks nice but im not a fan of the impalla symbol on the horn cap...id like to find the wheel it came with...heres a ebay link of what I have although this one on ebay is mint..lol
any pics would help..thanks:You_Rock:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-60-Chevy-El-Camino-Biscayne-Brookwood-horn-button-NOS-cap-/140724795361?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=14&meid=618130196619258445&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sandy, I just purchased a 59 Elky, and original wheel is gone. Has a older camaro style, looks nasty. I just searched and there is some on ebay, and one i think at the elcamino store, quite pricey. I won a bid for an original 59-60 chevy elcamino/impala. It will look very much more original than something more modern. Just search around, and fine one in your budget.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still dont see a pic of the steering wheel that fits the horn cap i found..i did that same image serch...all i see is impalla wheels..anyone have a pic on thier car???? ill try another search...just thought it be quicker here...thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nope thoes are all the impala steering wheels:???:..i guess ill never know what that horn cap came from..might just have to get the Impala wheel that I keep seeing..lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Found it on a chevy Biscayne...can see why everyone switched to the fancier impala wheel....hmmmm something to think about now....

·
Registered
11,510 Posts

on that link, it says this:

This is a reproduction of the complete steering wheel used on 1959-60 Chevrolet full size models, including Impalas, BelAirs, Biscaynes, and El Caminos.

Available three ways:
Full kit with horn ring, Impala crossed-flags emblem and mounting kit
Steering wheel and horn ring (no emblem)
Steering wheel only

Sorry, there is no El Camino emblem available as this time.

seems like the main diff between the elkie and impala wheels for 1959 was the emblems.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The 59 ElCamino used a Biscayne steering wheel----no other.
The BelAir horn ring assembly will fit on a Biscayne wheel for a little dressup
The Impala wheel will also go right on and look okay.

If you want to find an original type wheel----The same wheel was used on the 'upscale' pickups
thru 1966 and have a BelAir feel to them as they will have the horn ring.
I have not seen any chevy pickups using the Biscayne wheel/horn assemebly tho.

For what it is worth----The ElCamino is based on the Biscayne and not the Impala as many believe.
It is a 2dr Brookwood wagon and that particular car (Biscayne/Brookwood) was the lowest in the Chevrolet lineup.
The ElCamino got BelAir side trim (And the quarter side spears are ElCamino specific as all BelAir trimmed wagons were 4-doors)
The up side is that the ElCamino was available with any option that was available on the BelAir or Impala, but very few of the
well optioned Elkys ever existed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow well thanks for the info...that really helps....so the first pic of the biscayne wheel and the horn button i found in my glove box are indeed correct for my car....? hmmm as much as i like the horn ring and also the fancy impalla wheel...im leaning to finding the biscayne wheel....im kinda weird that way,i like some orginal and some custom...ie my merc sled has lots of org trim etc but from several years..the best of 3 years rolled into one,but hate the ugly 84 buick column and steering wheel...it screams body swap...so i have a issue with less than perfect wheels....imho the wheel is what most see..better like it,ur driving with it.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts