El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't wait anymore for a welding buddy to get a free day to help me.
I need some patch panels welded in my floors,and I need some spring perches welded to my rear end.
Can you guys recommend a cheap welder to get the job done,and maybe a good book?
Thanks.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
"Cheap" welder might be OK for the floors but not the perches. For the perches you either need a good stick welder like a Lincoln tombstone or a a good 220v MIG. The 120V MIG's don't really have enough penetration for something like spring perches. You might be bettter off getting that done at a machine shop, mechanic shop, body shop, etc. They probably won't charge you much.
For the floors a 120v mig or flux would be ok. You could even use an oxy/acetylene torch and welding rods or brass rods.

·
Deputy Director Region 4
149 Posts
I have needed a hole patched in my frame for over a year now. Theres a ton of welders around, and a ton of welding shops, but when you mention its on an automobile they all send you straight away. Why doesn't anybody like to work on cars, like, how are they different from anything else? :???:

·
2,566 Posts
make sure you don't use an electric welder!!
use gas!!! 70 % Argon 30 % Co2
it makes for clean & strong welds.
Think this needs a little clarification. He's asking as a first project, meaning he probably never welded before.
An "electric" welder ARC welder is OK for the spring perches on the axle. It's actually a bit better than MIG. A good MIG can do it but not a cheap MIG. I doubt he wants to spend $2000 + on a good MIG. A good Lincoln tombstone ARC welder can be had new for around $400 and used are everywhere for cheap.
Yes don't use it on the floor pans. You can if you turn it down enough but MIG is best for the floor too. As for the gas it's only used as a shielding gas. You are not welding with the gas as you are with oxy/acetylene. The idea of MIG = metal inert gas, is that the welding wire is used in a similar way to an arc welder, but is much smaller and fed from the machine at varying speeds to match the task at hand. The gas is used to keep the surrounding area cool and prevent warpage from overheating. A by-product of the shielding gas is cleaner welds, but that isn't the sole purpose.

·
2,566 Posts
I have needed a hole patched in my frame for over a year now. Theres a ton of welders around, and a ton of welding shops, but when you mention its on an automobile they all send you straight away. Why doesn't anybody like to work on cars, like, how are they different from anything else? :???:
There are a few reasons. First to work on cars you need to be licensed repair shop. Second you need to know enough about cars to remove the negative battery cable before welding and to allow time for a complete discharge of the electrical system so you don't damage, alternators, sensors, or pop an air bag. Also the possibility of fire/explosion from gas or oil or aother flammable substances. Then you have the liability issue. If you're in an accident after due to losing control or the weld breaking that wrought iron railing shop isn't going to have a leg to stand on in court.

Find a good body shop or good front end shop or truck repair shop. Any of these should be able and willing to do it.

·
Senior Member Participating Member
859 Posts
I totally concure with Bobby78 .:yell:

·
Registered
555 Posts
I can't wait anymore for a welding buddy to get a free day to help me.
I need some patch panels welded in my floors,and I need some spring perches welded to my rear end.
Can you guys recommend a cheap welder to get the job done,and maybe a good book?
Thanks.
Have you welded before?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I worked in industrial sheet metal for over 35 years and I've gas welded, mig welded, tig welded, and arc welded. My company paid for my welding classes so I could SAFELY do welding within my trade! Was I good at my trade? Yes! Am I a welder? Not by a long shot! Welding is a "Skilled Trade", done by very skilled people!
You should be ably to weld in patch panels with just a little practice but, PLEASE leave the axle spring perches for a professional welder!!!

Doug

Oh, I almost forgot about getting the correct (chemical make-up) mig wire for the metal you're going to weld (new/clean metal or dirty/rusty metal)! I have used flux core as well as gas shielded mig wire. The shielding of both types does the same thing! Technically speaking, your shielding "gas envelope" is meant to "exclude" the atmosphere from the molten weld pool until the weld metl has solidified. Leave the mig gun in the welding position after you've released the trigger (when using bottle gas) and wait for the gas to stop flowing from the gun (to keep oxidation from the weld) until the weld solidifies.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I worked in industrial sheet metal for over 35 years and I've gas welded, mig welded, tig welded, and arc welded. My company paid for my welding classes so I could SAFELY do welding within my trade! Was I good at my trade? Yes! Am I a welder? Not by a long shot! Welding is a "Skilled Trade", done by very skilled people!
You should be ably to weld in patch panels with just a little practice but, PLEASE leave the axle spring perches for a professional welder!!!

Doug
Geeze, don't scare the poor guy away, have a little more faith.. :smile3:

If he wants to purchase a nice welder and learn how to weld so he can do fab work on his car, then great, more power to him.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Geeze, don't scare the poor guy away, have a little more faith.. :smile3:

If he wants to purchase a nice welder and learn how to weld so he can do fab work on his car, then great, more power to him.
I totally agree with what you've said. Hobby welding is not only fun but, money saving! I just DON"T want ANYBODY to take welding so lightly as to weld things that should be done by a certified welder! I won't!!!
That was my point!

Doug

·
Registered
555 Posts
I totally agree with what you've said. Hobby welding is not only fun but, money saving! I just DON"T want ANYBODY to take welding so lightly as to weld things that should be done by a certified welder! I won't!!!
That was my point!

Doug
:beer:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies.
I need the cars to at least move.
I cant drive my T/A without floors,and I cant drive the Elky without the springs and shocks mounted correctly.
My car was repo'd, and I'm left with my Bike and Land yacht running.
I may be forced to drive the Buick all winter...been a long time since I've driven rear wheel drive through the winter...let alone a huge gas hog convertible.
I'd like to at least be able to shelter the convertible if I drive it so I can keep it as clean as possible.
I'd probably just be smarter buying a winter beater,but I cant seem to find anything around $500.
Everything I see is $1500...which is about what I paid for the Buick...I sure can buy a lot of gas for $1500.
Moral of the story is I might not have a choice...I'm going to have to learn to weld.:secret:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Some folks learn quick, some don't. You're going to want to get some scrap metal the same thickness as whatever you want to weld on your car and practice, practice makes perfect.

You might be welding those spring perches on a lot sooner than you think...:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I bought a 220 volt 170 Amp MIG welder from Harbor Freight online. It was about $200 and had free shipping. I had to buy a gas bottle and regulator since the welder didn't come with them.

The model I bought is much larger and has wheels. Unfortunately, it is no longer available, but this one should work.
http://www.harborfreight.com/170-amp-migflux-wire-welder-22-volts-110-amps-68885.html

I also bought a book on how to weld and have read it multiple times. I had never welded before so I practiced on some sheet metal I bought at Lowes. It was the same thickness as the floors in the Elkie. After I found the correct wire speed, voltage, and gas rate, I was able to make some really nice welds on the floors.

Jack
[edit] I also have a Craftsman 90 Amp 110 volt flux welder. I don't use it any more since I bought the HF welder.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sinister :
look into LINCOLN ELECTRIC , MILLER ELECTRIC , HTP / WELD USA these are the big dogs of welding .LINCOLN and MILLER have videos on line to walk you thru purchase, set up and welding skill.
take your time and invest in a welder suited to your needs , but also keep in mind you might want to go bigger so down the road you don't have to sell or trade up as your skills progress

1 - 18 of 18 Posts