El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im lookin at buyin a 1980 gmc caballero for a couple hundred dollars, the body is pretty beat up but the engine and transmission is good, i was wonderin if anyone had any idea how much it would coast to repair all the body, its really rusty at the bottom and needs new trim and paint i mean really rusty, so if anyone had any idea as to how much a restoration would be lend me a hand, ill try to have pics up later

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
It's not really possible to give you an estimate on body work without knowing the extent of the rust. I will say this though, if the rust is truly as bad as you state, it may possibly have frame and body to frame support damage. This car may not be worth a couple of hundred bucks, especially if you have to put in a couple of thousand just to make it look good and operate safely. If you can have a professional body shop inspect the car for undercarriage damage if you are not sure what to look for.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Rust is always a worry.

Why do you want the El Camino?

All of my El Caminos were in bad to horrible shape when I got them. Two were almost given to me and one was. It cost me a lot of money to fix them up and any good paint job on straight metal is going to cost up to $5,000.00 to have the job done. Not necessarily to do yourself.

None of my Elkys had a power plant that worked on the 72 was void of engine and transmission with front end damage and rotted out interior, rotted Vinyl roof and the list goes on.

So ... Why do you want the El Camino? If you want a good dependable truck probably should look somewhere else. If you are an Elky person and got to have that fix and plan on spending the bucks anyway, you could have a good start in the truck and then maybe not.

Rear Frame rot is a PITA to deal with and fix and if you don't have to .....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its my friends older sisters car and ive watched her drive all through high school and ive always wanted it, i have about 4 or 5 grand to put in it and i just really want it

·
Registered
118 Posts
with that kind of cash you can buy a worry free elke and be happy or are you after the girl to? :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts