El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me please. I own an 84 el Camino and am having some problems. When I start it it runs fine but when you give it a little gas it bogs and falls on its face, but after it idles for awhile and warms up its better; however, it will occasionally fall on its face. The car runs great when I unplug the electrical plug from the carb. Does anybody know whats wrong or know some troubleshooting steps I can take to fix this?! :help:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Did you remove your emission controll?

If so then you could possibly need a new carb and distributer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Emission Control?

It passes emissions. What I don't get is that no check engine light comes on, so I can't pull a code...

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
What wire did you pull, the air idle control in the front of the carb or the choke on the pass side of the carb? Is the choke open when the motor is warm to hot? Matty man

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The choke is open when the car is warm. The wire I pulled (just messing around to what could be wrong) is on top of the carb. Possibly called the air fuel mixture solenoid?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Yep that`s it,, my guess is that a good rebuild is in order, how many miles on the engine & carb? And has the carb been rebuilt before that you know of?? And how about the last major tune up,, plugs, wires cap ect,,,, Matty man

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recently bought the car. Has just gotten new wires and cap, etc. engine has almost 170 thousand on it...but i don't know about the carb, probably the same

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
Unplugging that wire should put you in "Limp Home" mode with the ecm. But you should be getting an SES light with the MCS unplugged. When you had it plugged in, did you hear some very fast clicking when you turned the key to the on position? This would indicate that the solenoid is working. No clicking, bad solenoid or ECM. A bad solenoid would be full rich all the time. Maybe unplugging it moves the ECM to limp home mode, which would normally be full rich anyway, so better dist advance for the full rich condition.

Now if you said you removed the Choke Wire on the side of the carb, you would certainly get a lot of the symptoms you described.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unhooked the battery for five minutes last night...this morning car runs perfectly fine. Why? Yet no check engine light on. Maybe i should try pulling a code anyway?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Do you have an accellerator pump? Adjust it so that the rod is in the hole closest to the carb. It will give you a bigger squirt of fuel on your initial accelleration, curing your stumbleing. Did that to my edelbrock 600, and it doesnt stumble at all now. Don't really know about the newer carb you're using, it it is similar?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
Unhooked the battery for five minutes last night...this morning car runs perfectly fine. Why? Yet no check engine light on.
..Maybe the light bulb is burn out...:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Figured i should reply for anyone who might have this problem in the future. Throttle position sensor is the only sensor that won't give a check engine light. Replaced it and car runs better than ever...finally!

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I am inclined to disagree with that statement...maybe in your case, you had no C/E light, but after many years of servicing GM vehicles, I have had many TPS faults that had set codes, most recently a code 22 on an 85. And the TPS was n/g...I'm just saying...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts