El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided not to spend the $350 (cost that much to do my 2000 crew cab long bed superduty) to have it rhino lined. I figured, why not spend the $99 at PepBoys, and just roll it on.

Step 1
Wash n then Mask

Step 2
Sand, Wash again, then Acetone bed for a clean adheshion

Step 3
Apply coat #1

I let sit for 20 minutes, and applied second coat while 1st coat was a lil tacky and still in suspension.

Step 4
Apply coat #2 and I also did a 3rd just because it was left over.

And Whala.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Fine job on that Rick :beer: :thumbsup:

Doug

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looks really good! :D Can you apply this over an exsisting bed liner? I have a Rhino line that is showing its age, and I do not want to try to peel all of the coating off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say do it. why? because herculiners instructions state to apply the second or third coat when the prior have been full cured, which they state is 24 hours and quote "when prior coat is no longer tacky".

Well from my experience with painting, I would let do another coat while the product is still in suspension AND tacky, so I'd say YES.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i'm kinda new to this, but can the bed spray be painted over. i wanna repaint my 85 a high gloss black and was considering a spray liner, but i still can't picture in my head if it would look right with a super gloss black and a subdued black bed .

·
Deputy Director Region 6
1,629 Posts
Top coat

I did mine and it turned out similar, I also applied the UV protectant coating, one quart is all that is needed, Herculiner claims you need to do this to prevent fading. With the left over I did the interior including the smuggler's box. You did a good job, looks great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts