El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet yall are starting to think I'm off my rocker with al my ideas. But where I live classics don't get too much respect. I park in a lot, come back and someone hit me with a door. My neighbor coated his Tundra in Rhino-Liner, he off-roads alot, but if someone hits his truck with there door it dents them and chips a little of the liner. I'm think of doing this for a few reasons:

1. It's cheap, way cheaper than paint.
2. It'll protect my baby from evil soccer moms and their mini vans.
3. I park outside alot, and it should protect me from the elements, right?
4. I think it looks bad ass :nanawrench:

I'm going to go full black, with a thick red racing stripe going down the middle. Or maybe off to the side. I haven't decided yet. I'll be sure to post pictures when the "painting" begins, probably in a week or so. Hmmm, just a thought, will this effect the engine bays ability to dissipate heat through the metal?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I er..., I'm not...., Well...., Hmmmmm. But maybe double check the laws on desecration of an Elk. Seriously speaking... have fun, it's your Elk.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Never mind "hard to clean" You better plan on keeping it forever, finding another "nut" to buy it, or just throwing it away when you're done with it. I can't even imagine trying to remove that from every body panel to repaint the car!:???:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 years or so, he pressure washes the dirt out of crevices and whatnot. Then tire shine too bring back some pop.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never mind "hard to clean" You better plan on keeping it forever, finding another "nut" to buy it, or just throwing it away when you're done with it. I can't even imagine trying to remove that from every body panel to repaint the car!:???:
I plan on keeping it til the bed liner peels off.

You bump someone with that Elko and you'll give (road rash) a whole new meaning:poke:
Donny
That's the plan, and look good while doing it.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
"You might be a redneck if........

Doug

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen it done before on trucks and jeeps. Whatever floats your boat, man. It will definitely help protect against the parking lot dents, chips, etc. for sure. I really would think about ditching the red racing stripe idea though, that probably wouldn't go good with the herculiner texture.
I was thinking about that too, I might do a piece of scrap metal first, and see how it looks there before i completely decide on colours.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
There are three Guys in my neck of the woods that have had their 4X4 Side Panels done in Rhino Liner now for 5+ years. Still looks real good and no chipping. They claim they have slid into Trees and such with no damage. One even Named his Truck "Armored Plated". Go figure?:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I am going to use "Hurculiner" on my bed and I think I recall some comment somewhere that the black has to be coated with something to protect it from UV light, might want to look into that before painting the truck.
Good Luck,
bill

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have seen a few trucks with it, I don't know how it would wear on a daily driver, but one of the show trucks I saw was holding up pretty well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do yall think I should keep the vinyl top or tear it off? I mean if I'm doing the whole body might as well commit. I might do the inside of the cab under the carpet while I'm at it. Herucliner said they might give me a discount depending on how much I buy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think herculiner and rhino will do the same thing I put herculiner in a truck bed it scraped chiped a lot like paint. I like it in a truck bed but as a paint it is not rhino.
Tom

1 - 20 of 91 Posts