El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
check it out!

http://staceydavid.com/projects/knuckle-buster

4th video down on the left side of column of videos. "the knucklebuster (part 3) [S3. Ep3-2]

here's a link to power trax
http://powertrax.com/noslip.html

here's a link to the setup at summit. richmond gear (makers of this set up) only sells to distributors. I called them and summit this morning to get this info.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=pwt9207752605&dds=1

if you watch the stacy david video, you'll see that this posi set up can be installed WITHOUT pulling the gears out of the rearend!! Also, it gets rid of the spider gears, which are the weakest part of the 7.5 rearend!

you're all welcome :poke:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
shoulda referred to the posi unit too

:???:

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
X2 on the Thanks Keyser...somehow missed that episode adding this to my wish list

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Another thanks Keyser.
I'm fixin' to put new gears in the rear of my RAT got to make a good show at Belton next year.
What do you think? 4:88 or 5:13?

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you'd get better milage with the 4:88s!

:rolleyes2: :laugh:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you go to the link to the power trak site and look around there, they tell all about it. it has been redesigned from the old detroit locker that ford had as an option on its drag pack cars, and doesn't click going around corners like they used to. doesn't drag one wheel either, it acts just like a posi unit except it's easier to install.

a new posi from auburn gear for a 12 bolt is around $500 too, so they cost about the same, except you can use the gears you have now with this one, and don't have to mess with the ring and pinion gears, or even having someone put it in if you can't set up a ring and pinion yourself.

:beer:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great looking product, if you google the part number, it can be found as low as $465 with free shipping.Thanks,Don

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually found it listed at $410 with $19 shipping, however the exploded view is different than the exploded view of the $498 version at Summit and Jegs. Appears there may have been a redesign.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Purchased the Powertrax No-Slip from Rocky Road Outfitters, $410, $23 shipping. Shipped directly from Midwest Auto, which recently purchased Richmond Gears. Very easy to install.

They no longer ship it with slotted and and non-slotted drivers and spacers. The instructions haven't been updated, but they sent a piece of paper that explained that it was shipped with only slotted parts, but that they are interchangeable. I didn't see the paper, started to put it in Saturday, noticed that all the drivers and spacers were slotted while test fitting the parts and assembling the unit on the table. Couldn't get anybody in tech support at any of the vendors or the manufacture, so was going to wait until Monday to verify that it could be installed with all slotted parts. I was sure it would work, but wanted to be sure. Started searching the forums and found out that it was ok and that they had stopped shipping the non-slotted parts back in '05 and also found out about the paper saying so, went to my documentation folder that was shipped with it and sure enough there was the paper. I had just pulled out the install instructions and went on.

Installed the unit this morning along with the anti sway bar I had to go with the KYB gas adjust shocks I put in a couple of weeks ago.

Biggest problem I had was not with the Powertrax unit. Before I took the cover off and drained the oil, I wanted to be sure that I could get oil back in it. The inside of the plug was round and I couldn't find anything to wedge/drive in that would catch and allow me to turn it. Tried to use a chisel on the edge to drive it around, no good just cut a groove. Finally saw the vent on top and pulled that out, I have a pump and the plastic fitting at the end of the tube slid right into the hole where the plastic vent pushes in. I measured the oil that came out, and put the same amount end through the vent.

As long as the oil level was good to begin with I should be good, it was 56 ounces by the way, sound right?

Before installing assemble the parts on the bench to see how they fit, everything has to be lined up in reference to the paddles on the spacers. The spacer will only fit fully into the driver and the driver and coupler drive teeth will only engage tightly, if the paddle is lined up widest gap in the driver and coupler. Mark the side of the coupler at the widest gap in the syncro ring and on the side of the coupler 180 degree opposite the gap. Makes it much easier to verify the alignment when in the confines of the carrier.

No More One Tire Fire, two parallel dark lines, very pleasing to see in the mirror. Very solid launch, I wasn't even sure they were spinning until I saw the marks in the mirror.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts