El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start with saying I love the USA! I have lived a very good life because of our freedoms!
This is what my son told me yesterday: NO medical retirement, VA rating indicated that I was never found fit for duty after my right foot injury in 2003-4, Therefore, they would not rate my current right foot injury until that injury is resolved. Thanks for the shaft as I have no more military appeals! What a way to end a 27 year naval career.
My son is a Senior Chief Petty Officer. He was called up to serve in Iraq and served in the Civil Affair Brigade/Special Ops. My son and another US soldier were imbedded with the Iraqi army. My son received the Iraq Theater, the Army Achievement, and the Bronze Star Metals during his time in Iraq. Weeks after returning home from Iraq, a non-cancerous growth was found in the sole of his right foot. For the last eight years or so, he's been operated on (by military surgeons) and gone through painful therapy 4 times and the tumor keeps coming back (bigger and faster each time). The first sugeon is only required to keep files for 8 years (and he's no longer stationed at Norfolk). Between the Navy and the VA constantly dragging its feet (the Navy even "lost" my sons latest appeal papers and gave him 10 days to resubmit his paperwork), he has run out of time (theirs!) and may not be able to retrieve the papers from the first surgery.
So, his medical retirement is all but gone! Because of the last 10 years, he's lost his marriage, the tumor has caused him to loose most of the pads (meat) in the bottom of his right foot, he can no longer pass the physical testing to be able to go back to his civilian job as a jail guard for the Sheriff Department.
I'm irrate that our most valuable people (our soldiers) can be thrown away (after offering their lives and limbs for us) like weekly garbage! I'm sad that 1 in 18 (I have heard) of our soldiers/vets think about or have tried suicide. I could cry because (selfishly) I feel like my hands are tied and I'm unable (as a father) to protect my son from the bad guys!
Sorry for the rant but, I just needed to unload and I didn't want to burden my wife!!

Doug

· Ministry of Broke Things
6,875 Posts
Sorry to hear. Your anger and frustration at the gov't bureaucracies is justified. Just curious, are you or your son involved in and local veteran's organizations (VFW, DAV, etc.)? Sometimes those organizations can be of help in these types of situations. Because many times, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

· Registered
3,717 Posts
X2 on what Glenn said. A fellow Marine died a few years ago. He was an honorably discharged peace time vet. Due to a construction accident, he decame a quadriplegic. He lost his wife, his kids and was left to live with and be taken care of by his mom. He died in the VA hospital due to and infection he contracted in the hospital. His fam could not afford a decent burial and was gonna leave it to the county. I contacted the local American Legion Commander. He was able to get a full burial at the cemetary with a headstone and Military honors. So, contact everyone involved with the support groups. Enough voices in unison will make a difference. Contact your congressman and Senator. Tell them to make a real difference in folks lives. Like Reagan said, "the gov't is not the solution to the problem, the gov't IS,the problem" tell the squid that this Marine thanks him for his service. He is in my prayers, as are you.

· Registered
25 Posts
Also, he is entitled to seek local VA reps in his area. They can assist in taking up his case. Plus ensure you get your congress man or woman on this case. Did he make copies of his medical records? I heard of attorneys taking on cases like this and dealing with it through the courts.
Strike while the iron is hot, I know it's extremely frustrating. I spent over 20 in the Army and have tons of crappy stories to share in dealing with the VA.

Tell him to keep his foot on them.

Good luck, keep us posted.

· VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
I suggest you have your son contact the local DAV chapter. They have excellant advocate/counselors who know how to get your son fair treatment and every benny he has earned. I thought "lifers" were entitled to free healthcare for life?
The DAV counselor here got me enrolled and compensated after years of BS from the VA.

· ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
Sorry to hear that but hasn't this been going on for ever? They use our boys and promise them everything and once out their out on their own. If they are killed their wife's suffer with no help or am I wrong? I keep hearing the same things with mental illness physical problems etc. It's a shame they would discard a person like a number in a book not a person. Maybe if it was their kids it would change but that's never going to happen.:dontknow::dontknow:

· VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
Robert, I am fairly active in a few vet orgs and know hundreds of vets with service connected disabilities. The VA is under constant pressure to contain costs like every other agency in our government except for the Office of the First Lady with it's staff if more than thirty!
The only way to get help with a claim is by hooki ng up with a trained advocate or veterans services officer. Trying to get help alone is very difficult.

· Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Contact Fox News. They'll take up his cause. Good luck.

And to an earlier post, nice work! Every veteran with a honorable discharge is entitled to a military burial with full honors at a Veterans Cemetery, including the casket or if cremated, interment in the wall, just for the asking. I'm a member of the Honor Guard at the local Veterans Cemetery is how I know this. Good that you were able to help out a Brother.

· Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Contact Fox News. They'll take up his cause. Good luck.

And to an earlier post, nice work! Every veteran with a honorable discharge is entitled to a military burial with full honors at a Veterans Cemetery, including the casket or if cremated, interment in the wall, just for the asking. I'm a member of the Honor Guard at the local Veterans Cemetery is how I know this. Good that you were able to help out a Brother.
Before my son got called to active duty, he was a member of an Honor Guard in his home state of Ohio.
To my caring friends here, My son and I have had some time to calm down from the last couple of days. My son talked to his Med Hold Jag and will meet with her next wednesday (he said she disputes the VA's findings!). He'll be making copies of all his correspondences, medical records, and the dates when he was mobilized to Norfolk, his Line of Duty dates, his Med Hold dates, and when the Navy puts him on Active Duty but on Terminal Leave (they claim he has 60 days and Doug claims he has 81 days).
When he gets home to Huber Heights, Ohio (while still on Terminal Leave), he'll take copies of the same papers he'll give the Jag, for his Congressman (John Boenher) to look at.
When he retires after his Terminal Leave, he'll still get his Navy Pension at 59 years of age and will be entitled to his life time VA medical benefits. The VA made a determination (which Doug thinks they didn't read his entire med file because the answer they said wasn't there is there in black and white!) that he didn't qualify for the VA Medical Retirement. My son is just PO'ed that nothing was said until after his final appeal process was over! Let's just hope that Mr. Boehner's office can wake those people up from their stupor!
Oh, the Sheriff has told him he must report back to work (he's a jail guard) by June 14th or he will be terminated.

Doug

Man, I hope I got everything right that he told me!

· VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
After 27 year enlistment, obviously a successful and valuable sailor, he should already have earned life coverage unless things have changed since I was in. OMG, I just realized I was discharged from the USMC in 1964. Probably everything has cha:dontknow:nged.

· Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
James,

Good grief! I graduated from high school in 1964! Time sure does fly by!

Doug

Thank you for the very nice compliment you gave my son!! I appreciate it ALOT!

· ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
Robert, I am fairly active in a few vet orgs and know hundreds of vets with service connected disabilities. The VA is under constant pressure to contain costs like every other agency in our government except for the Office of the First Lady with it's staff if more than thirty!
The only way to get help with a claim is by hooki ng up with a trained advocate or veterans services officer. Trying to get help alone is very difficult.

So the bottom line is that they use you till your no good anymore then make you jump through hoops to get help you need from whatever happened to you under their command. I know there's always someone trying to defraud the Gov. but trying your best to do it right doesn't count unless you can find someone who knows someone to buck the system and get the paperwork pushed through. Are they trying to not take responsibility or is the system just screwed up like everything else. I can see that but what I'm seeing is they don't want to take care of our vet's or am I wrong? I can see that if your healthy when you leave and did your time you get your benefit package and go on but anything else watch out correct?:dontknow::dontknow:

· Registered
11,513 Posts
GOOD OTS! You needed a good laugh after all that stress. BTW, I am a geezer too. A former gf's daughter (and this was 15 yrs ago! and the daughter was 14) called all my classic rock "geezer rock" all the time! LOL

:nanawrench:

· Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems Doug. Getting a congressman involved is the way to go. I've had to get Senator Levin ( our district) involved twice on issues, and they can usually shake the bushes and get things moving.
The VA is swamped these days, and can't seem to make a dent in caring for the Irac vets that need help. The VA it self likely needs a house cleaning, from all the things I hear.
Too many people entrenched in a government job maybe ........

· Registered
589 Posts
It's so much worse than most of you think. America is being stolen away. The US Constitution is basically scrapped.

Can't say anymore, because, after all, we're all just about fun. :nanawrench:

FROM THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

· Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,388 Posts
After 27 year enlistment, obviously a successful and valuable sailor, he should already have earned life coverage unless things have changed since I was in. OMG, I just realized I was discharged from the USMC in 1964. Probably everything has cha:dontknow:nged.
..you might be in the same boat,This really sucks,and just think, a senator serves two years and get full benifits and a check for life,you serve 20 years ,put your life on the line, and you got to fight for your benifits??..Something is really wrong here.:let_it_all_out:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.