El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEautiful day in east TX. Fixxin to go putt around on my scoot and waitin till monday to pick up my headers, driveshaft and start cutting and bending the pipes. And then the real count down begins!! Soon to turn the key. Hey back to the question what designated an "SS" from a classic in '77?
Well I dig this place!
ltr.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I beleive that the SS option (Z15) is mostly an apperance item. Consisting of sport stripes, rally wheels, special grill, and sport mirrors.
I think other things like the gauge package, seats, center console, were seperate options.

There are others on the board who can add more details.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input

Is the "Z15" in the vin or the cowl tag? And does anyone know where to get good quality replacement moulding and the options like bucket seats and center console etc? Man you know how it is, the sweetest I can make this the funner it will be to drive. Thanx again, oh and it is a 77 so I am not sure what exactly interchanges with earlier gen. a-bodies either so help there would be cool.
ltr

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
In the VIN Its not going to say its an SS. Maybe it will designate it as a Custom some did. I think that the 73 and eariler were designeated as Custom Models and then in the Build sheet it will have the option code for Super Sport, I am not certian if the 4th generation used the Z15 option code.

I'd look for a build sheet. That is going to positivly identify it as an SS or other.

·
Banned
881 Posts
a72elky said:
There are others on the board who can add more details.
Did you call me Jay??

The 4th gen Elkys also had a Z15 SS option. As Jay said it's mostly appearance. Here is what the 76 and 77 data books say:

SS Equipment: El Camino Classic only. Available only when V8 engine is specified. Not available when B84 body side moldings are specified. Includes D35 sport mirrors; SS emblems on grille, fender, tailgate and instrument panel; upper body striping; special instrument cluster with black bezels; ZJ7 15" X 7" rally wheels and QCY GR70-15 B steel belted radial ply white lettered tires.

Z15 / 19A With Black Striping. Not available when 19 black exterior paint is specified.

Z15 / 11A With White Striping. Not available when 11 white exterior paint is selected.

MSRP - 1976 $226.05
MSRP - 1977 $243.00

:mrgreen:

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
So, the 4th gen SS didn't have special door panels, not shared with other models???

$*%%#@$ factory brochures :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 77 SS doesn't have insignas on the door panels. Here is some interesting facts on the SS which was an options package:

The 1977 models were virtually unchanged from 1976.
In 1977 there were only 5,226 SS production models made!

In the south west part of the country, a special edition 1977 "Camino Del Rey" was offered. It included wheel flares on all four wheel wells, a front air dam, a rear spoiler, and "Camino Del Rey" decals on the lower portion of the doors. This package was typically offered on the Conquista model. It was probably dealer-installed.
All Chevrolets (and El Caminos) have a VIN number beginning with "1", while all GMCs (and Sprints) have a VIN number beginning with "5". A '71 "Standard" Sprint would have a VIN starting with "533801" (6-cylinder) or "534801" (V8). A '71 "Custom" Sprint would have a VIN starting with "536801" (V8 only). The seventh character in the VIN would be one of three letters for the assembly plant : "B"-Baltimore, "K"-Kansas City (Leeds), or "L"-Los Angeles (Van Nuys). The last six characters in the VIN would be the vehicle serial number, starting at "100001".The Sprint could be had with all the same options that were available on the El Camino. There was even a Sprint "SP" version which was similar to the El Camino "SS". The SP was an option package added to a "Custom" Sprint. The SP came with the same 15x7 5-spoke wheels used on the '71 Chevelle SS, but with "GMC" on the center caps instead of the Chevrolet logo. The SP also had a round speedometer, while most of the non-SP models had the rectangular speedometer.
As with the Chevelle SS and El Camino SS, a "Cowl Induction" system was available at extra cost, but it was not part of the SP package, and few were ordered. If Cowl Induction was not ordered on an SP, then the SP would come with the "SS" style bulge hood. Non-SPs had the "flat" hood.
"SP" side stripes:
The '73-'77 Sprint SP could come with upper body stripes that ran from the middle of the fender back to the tailgate. At the front of the stripes (on the fenders) were the letters "SP". This is exactly the same as the '73-'77 El Camino SS stripes (except, of course, the letters were "SP" and not "SS"). The '77 Sprint sales brochure shows a slightly different style of "SP" lettering than the '73-'76 brochures. It is unclear if there really was any difference or not.

·
Banned
881 Posts
ElkySS said:
So, the 4th gen SS didn't have special door panels, not shared with other models???
The 73 and 74 brochures say "Inside there are SS medallions on the door trim panel..."
The 75 brochure doesn't mention anything about special SS door panels.
The 76 and 77 brochures say "Standard in SS: door trim panels in a special vinyl-covered pattern"

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the repies

it helps. I would sure like to know if I do or not. ( have an SS) So far I fit into that catagory, as I understand it, the cowl tag reads:
ST-77 1AD80 = 1977 El Camino CLassic w/ Vin "L"
R= Arlington Plant
25744BDY =?
TR 24C = Trim Lt Blue Cloth, cloth/vinyl interior
A65 = ?
29L 29U PNT = Med blue lower, upper
06A = ?
011487 = ?
Well, again thanks and any help as always would be greatly appreaciated!
On a side note I have replaced the headers oh and some info...please put new motor mounts in if anyone decides to weld the collectors on a set of headers. You would hate for some one like me to cuss you for three weeeks staight wouldn't you? 8) ... Everything under the car/truck (whatever she is..) is tightend and run, waiting for the driveshaft to be cut and balanced, pick up monday maybe!!! Then the power steering pump to exhaust manifold bracket will be here tuesday I hope! and I may well be driving by next weekend. No ride height control yet though :( Oh well it is still fun in all of its frustration.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great info on the SS models of the 4th gen.
I have had a 76SS and a currently have a 77 SS and neither hgad any badges on the door panel denoting them as SS models.
The small badge on the dashboard above the glovebox, yes.
The striping on the outside from the middle of the front fender all the way around the car to the other front fender, yes.
All fender insignias deleted, yes.
Teo designations on the tailgat, one the SS striping and the other the Elcamino script.
The round guage instrument cluster for the dash, yes.
The SS badge on the grille, yes.
The 76 had swivel buckets and a console.
The 77 has a bench seat as my family has grown along with my girth and I am in my comfort stage. :cool:
Jeez, I bought a mini-van last year too! 8O
I'll be okay as long and I keep my Elkies!
C-YA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Lukester

You say you got a 77 SS? Could you email me detailed pics of the trim and dash and stuff so I know what I am looking for cause I really think I got one too. Thanks!
LTR.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My digital quit working so no can do until it's fixed. :(
There are several oddball things I have noticed over the years with these cars and one of them is the option list.
The cowl tags on both my cars designate them as SS models but, the 76 had a round guage cluster dash insert and the 77 does not. It has a traditional flat speedo with guages for the oil, battery etc. The 76 has swivel buckets with a console and the 77 is a bench.
Customer spec'd that way? Did they run out of round clusters on that day?
Although they all were only built in the U.S., I think the ones for export to Canada were a little different in some respects due to the emission laws.
The 77 was built in California but, if it was compared to a car designated for California only, you would see a large difference in emissions alone.
Having had the fenders off both, the car built in Michigan had different and stronger reinforcements than the one built in California.
I first ran across this with my 61 that had one piece bumpers. I had never seen one piece bumpers before (Canadian boy)and began diggin'.
It apparently was not designated for Canada as cars designated for Canada traditionally had three piece bumpers. The reason for the three piece is that if you slid into something, you could replace a section of the bumper instead of the whole thing.
Go figure.
What I do know is that although your car may truly be an SS model, it does not have to have certain options in order to validate it as such.
You have to go by the cowl and serial number tags to know for sure.
C-YA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Yeah it would be cool if when you got that fixed you sould senmd some pics my way if you keep it in mind. Well I do think that I have one even more so now. I just need to find all of the options now. I have a line on the power interior elements but the nameplates are hard to find. Anyway thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am really close to going for a 71 but want to be sure that it is a SS as I am being told. How can I be sure? Where is the cowl tag? I guess you can see I am just a beginner. It has a 350 4bbl and the SS logo on the front and sides but can it be a custom? If so is there a big difference in value? I am looking at paying around 11K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vin Decoding

Would any of you happen to know the best place to find vin decoding for 4th generation ElCaminos??? I currently own a 1973 and will be picking up a 75 SS 454 this Friday (out of state). Any help in this area would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts