El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a Director, or a Deputy Director....
Just an Old Dude out here in Eastern Iowa...
So I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes...

That said, are any of you folks in these regions interested in working to plan some sort of get-together for say sometime in April....In Eastern Iowa

Now more then likely there are a fair number of folks in Southern Wisconsin and Western Illinois that are closer to Eastern Iowa then those of you in Nebraska and the Dakotas.... So Region 10 members, feel free to jump in.... :beer:

If you are interested let's get some discussion going....

.................................................. .......................

By the way... Can someone explain the make up of this region....
75% of the Iowa population is DesMoines and East
That being the case the Dakota's and Nebraska don't come in to play to often...

Most folks I know in this part of the Midwest think in terms of Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois when it comes to developing a region....

It would be interesting by vote, to see if members living in Iowa feel region 10 or region 11 membership makes more sense...

Not complaining, or trying to start a revolution mind you... Just curious.... :dontknow:

Arnie in Iowa

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Viva la revolution!

Kidding...but seriously, I would love an opportunity to meet some members and see your rides.

I am in north east IL, and Arnie is about 120 miles away from me. Sadly that is closer than most of our active IL members (most of them seem to be in southern IL). I think our proposed IL spring get-together is around a 3 hour drive for me.

Where Arnie lives is also a nice central location for northern MO, IL, and WI. If you put something together Arnie, I am in.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Arnie, When looking at a map you see Region 10 runs from the Canadian Border to almost the middle of the US (Kentucky). To me it seems a problem to have anything put together that that most would engage in. My feeling is that a little rearanging might be in order. Being we have had no active Moderator for almost three years or more it is a problem. This is only an opinion not a gripe.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I agree, I had to start anything that would lead to discourse, but region 10 does span a lot of north to south area. Taking IL specifically, a lot of our active members seem to be in the southern half, at the southern tip of the region.

What if we put up a 30 day poll between those two regions, just as simple as "yes, I am active and I check the site for events." Then take those responses, toss them on a map and see where your active members are. Little bit of work, but it would potentially make a better grouping of people to make get togethers.

Not sure if there is an easy way to do this, but just a suggestion...maybe we should make another thread about this, since this on is intended to be about getting a gathering going?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, I had to start anything that would lead to discourse, but region 10 does span a lot of north to south area. Taking IL specifically, a lot of our active members seem to be in the southern half, at the southern tip of the region.

What if we put up a 30 day poll between those two regions, just as simple as "yes, I am active and I check the site for events." Then take those responses, toss them on a map and see where your active members are. Little bit of work, but it would potentially make a better grouping of people to make get togethers.

Not sure if there is an easy way to do this, but just a suggestion...maybe we should make another thread about this, since this on is intended to be about getting a gathering going?
Matt, I'm not smart enough to know how to do the poll thing on this site, but if you or anyone else is up to the task I think it's a great idea.

A lot of the "mindset" of us folks in the Midwest is based upon the old Big 10 conference.
Lots of rivalry (basketball and football) amongst Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Hell most of us car guys, many of whom are sports fans have been in the stadiums in all four of these states. So that's the geography we think about.

Nebraska is a new comer to the Big 10 and no disrespect but most.Big 10 folks have no clue what conference North and South Dakota schools are in.

Bottom line, take a compas and draw a circle with a 150 mile radius of Davenport.
You get 80% of the population of Iowa, to the edge of Chicago, up to Madison Wisconsin and South to Springfield.

Most folks might be willing to make a two hour trip if the event is worthwhile.

Nebraska and the Dakotas all lie at least another 150 miles beyond that circle.

It's all about demographics and population centers....

Nuff said..... :beer:

Arnie in Iow

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Well, lets use this thread to figure out a get together, and in the meantime, maybe we can get some director's insight on possibly figuring out a re-organization.

We don't need to remake the regions to meet in the meantime :beer: And what you said makes a lot of sense, there are some high pop areas with Davenport in the center of it, should be easy to get a get together there, just gotta rally the troops!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:poke: anybody out there....

anybody care..... :dontknow:

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't mean to appear so self-serving but back in the 80's I built a high performance homebuilt aircraft (Rutan Long EZ) and flew it all over the country.

Later formed what became the largest homebuilt A/C organization in the United States (at the time) called "Central States" and for years we held fly-ins in Davenport Iowa and Rough River Kentucky.
Those events attracted as many as 90 aircraft from all over the country. (Granted 160 MPH in a straight line really compresses the travel time.)

Point being, This isn't my first rodeo..... If we can garner some regional support we could develop and host a weekend "Meet & Greet" with some interesting activities and an evening dinner event.
Whatever you, the members are willing to commit to participating in developing.

If Texas can do it.... Why can't a bunch of Mid-Westerners ???????

Again I appologize if the tone of this post is a little over the top but...

Lets Do This !!!! :nanawrench:

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more time.....Bump

·
Registered
406 Posts
It sounds like a great idea. I've only had my camino about 6 months and I'm still in the process of making it street worthy.It barely ran when i got it but I'm getting there. It will hopefully be ready by spring. :beer:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing aids any work in progress like being around "like minded" people.

If anyone uses Skype let 's gather up our Skype addresses and have a conference call to brainstorm some Spring plans... Skype is Free

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing aids any work in progress like being around "like minded" people.

If anyone uses Skype let 's gather up our Skype addresses and have a conference call to brainstorm some Spring plans... Skype is Free

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
449 Posts
I can handle going to northeast Iowa.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I like where this is going. My skype is mattendres, but I am never on there unless I am looking for someone. We just need to keep bugging people until the Spring and then get it planned.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like where this is going. My skype is mattendres, but I am never on there unless I am looking for someone. We just need to keep bugging people until the Spring and then get it planned.
I agree Matt !!

If everyone who has an interest in building the "MidWest" group would post their Skype address we could gather that info and set an initial time (Some point in early March :dontknow:) to have our first Skype conference call amongst the participating members.

Collectively we could develop our first weekend Elky event for perhaps sometime May.

The key is getting a committed group of folks talking with each other Let's build that membership Skype List....If folks would copy the below section and add their information it would be a great start....

Name /Location /Skype Address

Arnie A./Davenport, Ia/ arnieash1945
Matt/ city-state /mattendress359028

I use Skype for business meetings with customers in Asia all the time so I could facilitate the Skype conference procedure for participating members...

If not us... Who
If not now... When

:beer:

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a rough idea of what I had in mind for a Mid-West Elky get together...

We have a local car show about 4 times a Summer at the mall.
It usually attracts 200/300 or more vehicles and is well organized and runs about three hours on a Saturday evening. They always have music, sometimes even a live band.
Brats and burgers are available at reasonable prices.

My though is we could all meet at my place perhaps mid afternoon on Saturday and have a "meet & greet" and fire up the grill and do Brats or "Iowa Pork Chops".

Then fire up the Elky and head to the show (about 4 miles away) around 6:00 in the evening.

After the show we could come back to my place (if folks are interested) and have a few beers around the pool. :beer:

There is a local very nice Comfort Inn about 1 1/2 miles from my place. i can get a corporate rate around $80 for rooms.

We could all meet on Sunday morning and travel the 1/2 mile to the Machine Shed Restaurant which tends to be the local hang out for folks coming to car shows in Davenport. The food is really good.

Then folks could depart for home around mid day on Sunday so everyone gets home at a reasonable hour.

Just a thought....certainly subject to changes as everyone deems neccessary....

Arnie in Iowa

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I love the idea Arnie.

Btw, my skype name is "mattendres" and my town is Marengo, IL.

Let me know when the first date is and I will be there! Count me in! :You_Rock:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree Matt !!

If everyone who has an interest in building the "MidWest" group would post their Skype address we could gather that info and set an initial time (Some point in early March :dontknow:) to have our first Skype conference call amongst the participating members.

Collectively we could develop our first weekend Elky event for perhaps sometime May.

The key is getting a committed group of folks talking with each other Let's build that membership Skype List....If folks would copy the below section and add their information it would be a great start....

Name /Location /Skype Address

Arnie A./Davenport, Ia/ arnieash1945
Matt/ Marengo, Il /mattendress

I use Skype for business meetings with customers in Asia all the time so I could facilitate the Skype conference procedure for participating members...

If not us... Who
If not now... When

:beer:

Arnie in Iowa

(Corrected Matt's Skype & Location Info)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts