El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any steering gear boxes that are preferred over the others? For example, is there a benefit to using a Monte Carlo SS box & does it bolt on? Fast ratio, etc?

I have an '86 El Camino that will need the steering gear box replaced in the near future & want to make sure I know of what all is available.

Thank you
~JM~

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
they offer fast and slow ratio boxs for the elco and they are the same as the monte ss box. 169 from autozone.you want the 2 1/4 turn box for the best handleing

·
Registered
432 Posts
The best, not the cheapest, is to call Tom Lee at Lee Manufacturing in Sun Valley, CA. He will build your box to the ratio you want along with upgrades that no one else offers. Forget Auto Zone or any of the other commercial rebuilders. If you are serious about making your ride steer, at least check Tom out. I had him do my steering box, power steering pump and hoses, absolutely top quality work! Call Tom at 818 768-0371. Know that steering wheel turns from lock to lock depends on steering wheel size and tire size. What is important is how the entire system works.... You did say high performance?.....

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
steering lock to lock has nothing to do with tire or steering wheel size.it is a mechanical function of the steering box.it is determined by the gear pitch and the stops installed during the box build. you have stops made onto the spindles and control arms that also limit travel. as for reuilds i have used a lot of suppliers with little to no problems.if it isnt a race car the high end boxes just cost you more money.if you are a weekend auto crosser then buy the custom boxes and pump but for a daily driver or weekend toy the comercial rebuilds are fine just chose the faster box

·
0 Posts
I have a 85 Monte SS box. Steers good and is perfect for shooting the gap on the freeway,,,,,:texas:

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
I have no professional experience with this. I do have a personal experience and offer something up to be aware of.

I put a 2 1/4 turn lock to lock steering box in my 66 el camino. For 2 years I couldn't make u-turns or pull into tight places on the first try.

Turns out that SOME of the 'quick ratio' boxes have an INTERNAL limiter of some sort. Kept the pitman arm shaft from rotating completely enough for my year vehicle.

There are places that guarantee that kind of stuff, making sure you have the correct amount of throw.

It was a nice feeling box on the road, I loved that part.... But I put a simple replacement box back in there, and much prefer not needing over 6 lanes to make a u-turn

So, check it out before spending your hard earned money :banana:

Good Luck, the road feel and cornering will definately be worth it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Alot of the rebuilt boxes in the high ratio from places like NAPA and such are camaro Z/28 and firebird boxes. These boxes had internal stops put in them from the factory (since the performance cars ran 16" wheels that have the correct ratio) to keep them from hitting. Gm these days issues these type of boxes for the Monte SS and such as an acceptable compromise. You want a box that is a high ratio out of a Monte SS, GN, or t-type that doesn't have the internal stops and has the correct ratio. Make sure you get a steering pump for a monte SS that is calibrated to the different steering ratio as well. Or save yourself all the hassle and get Tom Lee Manufacturing to do you up a box and a pump as Rix85 above suggested. Tom does show quality work. You can see pics of his work in the pics in the ad for my El Camino of the steering box he redid for me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
picked up my MCSS quick ratio steering box the other day from autozone, they took my stock box as a core so in total price came out to 127 and some change.. This was the cheapest of all major chains I found on price for the box and cheapest for the core as well.. It even cost less than there stock replacement so this is a good upgrade for anyone.. You will have to order it from them it is part num. 6561 and comes with a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
107 Posts
Richp85ELCO, hopefully you happened to get an ACTUAL Monte SS box and not another z/28 box with the internal stop blocks. If you as box up for a 92 camaro z28 on autozone's site they list the 6561 box as the correct box for that application as well. Some people don't notice the difference with a z/28 box and/or they don't care. There was a big discussion about this back in the day on the GN / ttype forums back in the day. Many parts stores won't guarantee the box doesn't have the stops in it for our cars since the Cardone catalog (they do the majority or rebuilding of these components these days) shows them interchanging just because they bolt in correctly, you just lose turning radius. As Jpmdaddy above said, make sure you know what you are getting for the price you are getting. I hope all my info will be helpful to those in the future who are not aware of such.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Richp85ELCO, hopefully you happened to get an ACTUAL Monte SS box and not another z/28 box with the internal stop blocks. If you as box up for a 92 camaro z28 on autozone's site they list the 6561 box as the correct box for that application as well. Some people don't notice the difference with a z/28 box and/or they don't care. There was a big discussion about this back in the day on the GN / ttype forums back in the day. Many parts stores won't guarantee the box doesn't have the stops in it for our cars since the Cardone catalog (they do the majority or rebuilding of these components these days) shows them interchanging just because they bolt in correctly, you just lose turning radius. As Jpmdaddy above said, make sure you know what you are getting for the price you are getting. I hope all my info will be helpful to those in the future who are not aware of such.

good info I will check into this, I have another stock box so I will make sure both turn equal distance, I bookmarked an article that shoes the correct codes on the box but i cant find it, so I will research this some more

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am totally confused. I have a 1980 Malibu that needs a new steering box (the thing at the end of the steering column that has power steering fittings on it). When I go to Rock Auto (and other similar web sites) I have a choice of getting either a rack and pinion unit or a steering gear. They both look the same in the pictures. What do I want?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts