El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first elky. It is also my first hot-rod. and my first large engine car. It''s a '77 Classic SS. The previos owner blew the original 305, and replaced it with a small 400 and the following goodies:
Edelbrock 650 carb
Edelbrock RPM Perfromer intake
Erson heads
Erson cam (little overstock hight, stock duration)
headers

Friends who have experience in hot-rods have told me that the 400 is prone to overheating, and can have bolts come loose in the bell housing due to vibration. (especialy if it has an overstock cam)

I live in Georgia. Do I need to increace my engine's cooling capacity? How do I do it without spending a small fraction of the national debt?

I can do basic wrenching, but I don't want to have to rebuild the engine every summer cause I overheated it doing accelleration research on the back roads.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
You didn't state if you are presently overheating or not. The 400 does run hotter normally. If you are overheating, check to see if the radiator has been repaired by having cooling lines soldered shut or is it just all gunked up and need a good flushing. Also you didn't say if the radiator was a two row or a three row, if it is a two row, I would definately replace it with a three row because of the 400 running hotter (you might be able to find one in a wreck yard cheap). As far as the bellhousing bolts vibrating loose, I've never heard of that problem before, do you feel a drive train vibration in the car when driving? If the bolts are vibrating loose, sounds like it good be a serious problem in the drive line (something bent or out of balance). Does the engine have the correct size harmonic balancer for a 400? If your not overheating and the bolts aren't vibrating loose, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Several of my well-meaning coworkers :roll: have been giving me free advice, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to check with people who know what the F#@$ they're talking about.
I checked the radiator. It is a 3-row. MORE ACCELLERATION RESEARCH TO COME!!!!!! I need a bigger spedometer. Any cops on this site? :wink:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Speedos' huh, can get pretty expensive, plenty on e-bay (120mph & 140mph) if you got the bucks, look for jacobsspeed on e-bay. If you got some good boneyards, I'd look there first, look at Malibus', I think they're the only ones that may have come with the police package.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My speedometer pegs at 120. My elky can go from 30 to 120 in a very short period of time. A faster spedometer would only encourage me to use it. It is sweet to hear that beast ROAR! [laughs maniacly]

·
Registered
7 Posts
400 concerns

another thing to check on your vibration is your flex plate 400 is a externaly balanced engine most 350s are internally balanced just fyi
on your radiator try talking to a radiator shop about recorring your existing one 3 row should be 150-250 4 row 200-300
70 elky ss

·
Registered
8 Posts
One thing that should be checked out on your 400 block are the cyclinder heads. Check to see if there are steam holes drilled in them ( two between each cylinder ). The stock 400 heads have steam holes drilled in them, do to the large bore size not allowing water jackets to cool inbetween the cylinders. these holes allow air circulation to aid in the cooling. Also it would be a great idea to install an oil cooler, and to go with a four row radiator (73-77 monte carlos and malibus with 350's house 4 row radiators) and electric fan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts