El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Supporting Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the Blazer Brake Upgrade ( Dual Piston Calipers, thicker, slightly larger rotor). Wow, what a difference. Braking is way better- finally a match with the performance of the Elky. This is such an easy, bolt on upgrade, that I think anyone should consider this one. If you've got all the parts and adapters you need, this can be done in a couple of hours( 3 bolts each side, plus the brake line). Total cost for me was about $350, including new pads, 1 new hub, and having the rotors turned. Note: I do have Blazer 16" wheels, but I believe that these will fit with 15" wheels as well.

Tips: Get the Blazer brakes lines and bracket that attaches to the frame. I tried to use the stock G-body lines, but mine were braided steel, and I was just not happy with the way they were bending. I went with the Blazer stock lines, and used an adapter ( Edelman 258340- 2 ea) to connect to the stock G-body hard lines. Cut the ABS connector line off as close to the brake hub as you can get. Keep the connector on the brake hub for sealing purposes.

·
Supporting Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you buy the adapter for the brake lines?
You can get them from Autozone or Oreilly's. If you have time, you can possibly find them online. Just do a google search for the PN shown above.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Although the blazer set-up is nice I'd opt for a complete ls1(98-02 gbody)set-up,being that you can put a bigger rotor up front,as the pab's are larger and the calipers will all match.still use the blazer spindle though so it is NOT nessasary to grind notch your stock spindle for the nessasary "kore3/flynbye" adapter brackets.I have a complete ls1 (front/rear) set-up with turnable rotors-425.00,or without-325.00 shipped.pm me if interested.

·
Supporting Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was under the impression that to use the LS1 / C5 rotor/caliper, that you would need to go to 17" wheels or larger. Will that work with 15" or 16" wheels?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I had seriously contemplated doing this, and IMO it's the best upgrade for the money. The only thing that I didn't like were the sealed hubs (expensive and non serviceable) and the fact I couldn't run my stock 14's. Ended up going drilled and slotted with over sized metric calipers and semi-metallic pads. Might do these on my other car if I ditch the stockers.

·
Supporting Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The price of the hubs had me initially worried as well, but you can find them online for under $40 now, and just to eliminate the hassle of packing bearings makes it worth it ( a little). I had initially considered just going with a bigger caliper, since I had new rotors already- but the bug hit me:twisted:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the blazer disc upgrade will work on either 14 or 15 in tires. I would like to do this and will eventually move to 15 in tires, but that might be a little while.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
With the blazer set-up you must use 16 and up ls1's you can use 15's and up.14's are out on either?lol only 14's I have are on my lo-lo(lowrider):smileyb:

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I went to B body spindles, tall upper control arms, 12" rotors from an F body to retain the 4X475 bolt pattern, and now Wilwood makes nice D52 style calipers....still undecided on rears...upgrade shoes, or swap to disc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
disc brakes

This sounds like a good project for a newbie, I have a 1980 el camino with 16 in Centerline wheels, how do I get started, is there a step by step guide, or do I just jump in. would appreciate any help, remember I am a newbie, so no car jargon, just plain english. Thanks
I assume I am just going to buy Blazer disc brakes, right ? what year or size or whatever?

·
Supporting Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I was first looking into the later blazer spindles for the start of a brake upgrade, but the drop spindle versions of those are almost twice as expensive. I,m looking into cutting my old 1 pc brake rotors down into hubs, which a can mount my choice of ls1 camaro or corvette rotors onto, then make a bracket to mount probably ls1 camaro calipers.Here is a thread on the subject, there is an older version listing the bracket specs.http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31516

If I'm understanding things right,Ls1 camaro & blazer calipers have about the same stopping power, but the blazer models are iron & the ls1 camaro versions are alumunum.

I,ve heard our 1pc hub rotors can be cut down on a brake lathe, basically cutting till the rotor portion falls off. Called a few brake shops, they acted like they couldn,t do. called a few machine shops, they acted like they didn't have the right setup to mount the rotors with. Maybe I'll just mount them on an old spindle & cut from each side with an angle grinder while spinning.:dontknow: Not like it's rocket science.

Just thought I'd add another possibility to Mike's thread here. Maybe someone else here has seen or done similar???

·
Supporting Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For drop spindles, it's probably best to go with Joe's approach. I didn't want the drop ( have enough trouble with rubbing as it is:let_it_all_out:). Sorta the same reason I didn't want to machine down the hubs, as it will result in the wheels being pushed out about 3/4" (IIRC), and I just don't have the room.

The machined hubs are available here, if you don't want to go through the hassle.
http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/c7_p3.html
I had heard that there was an increased probability of the Hub cracking when machined down- just something else to look into.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Mike, I'm sure we've been reading alot of the same info. But to add,I ,ve seen this flyn bye guy has been getting complaints because he can't keep up with orders. While bad for anyone ordering from him, it just shows the newfound popularity of brake upgrades. I think on the cracking issue on hubs, proper new wheel stud installation is a big part of that issue, also I'm pretty certain that older brake rotors are probably better for hub cores than newer chinese models. there are also billet hubs on the market, but hey, we're tryin to be cheap here.:poke:

The blazer sealed hub drop spindle price pretty much blew it out of my budget, which is why I'm looking into alternatives here. Planning on doing this when swapping from front coil aprings to airride, which I'm collecting parts for now.Thankfully my new (used) wheels are a 5" backset, which should make up for the mods.

·
Supporting Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like you've got it well in hand. You'll really appreciate the improved braking.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
had the same shoes & pads as when I bought this thing in 1993. The former t-5 & now t-56 tranny have done a large part of the braking duty's. I do have factory hydroboost, which is an upgrade in braking feel.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts