El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,749 Posts
Wheel Studs

Anyone know what size the Blazer wheel studs are? The stock ones are 1 7/8" long but, I don't know the diameter or threads per inch. I went with the Corvette rotors and PAB and I'm getting a little rub on the front wheel - I have 17 inch wheels. I think a 1/4 inch spacer will fix that but, I want to be sure I have enough threads left on the studs to be safe. I'll will also have to replace the studs on the rear when I get around to installing the LS1 disk set-up.

Thanks

·
Supporting Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The studs are 12MM X1.5 54MM Long ( just over 2")( Dorman PN 610-323). You can get them at your local O'reilly's or Autozone, but they are cheaper if you buy online.
here's some at Summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-610-323

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
If you swap the entire spindle , rotor & brake setup from later model blazer to your 78', you'll be getting rid of the 1 or 2 year only odd bearing &spindle size your 78 has. Rest of your 78 is the same as later years, so yes.

·
2,749 Posts
Thanks Mike.

BTW, I thought I remembered seeing some pictures and drawings of eBrake and shock relocation brackets that you posted but, can't seem to find them. Was that you or, am I getting senile?

Pounce,

The answer is yes. The Blazer swap will work for you. But, there are several options using the blazer spindles and hubs. You can use the complete Blazer set-up or upgrade to the larger LS1 (99-05) Camaro fronts. I chose to go the Camaro route but ended up going further with C5/6 Corvette front rotors - that's a whole different story. You need an adapter bracket to attach the Camaro PAB (Pad Abuttment Bracket) (never heard the term until I started this project). I purchased the bracket from Kore3 in Oregon but, they sent me the Corvette adapter. Their products are great but, the guy Tobin that owns the place is a first class jerk. Because of a dispute over what I wanted and what I got, I chose to buy the matching Corvette PAB from another source rather than have any further dealings with Tobin. The Camaro disks measured 11.9" and the Corvette measures 12.%

Corvette PAB and adapter bracket

DSC_0212 by skylarkul, on Flickr

DSC_0213 by skylarkul, on Flickr

DSC_0214 by skylarkul, on Flickr

Here are some pictures of the spindle, hub, PAB, calipers and rotor;

DSC_0206 by skylarkul, on Flickr

DSC_0210 by skylarkul, on Flickr

DSC_0207 by skylarkul, on Flickr

DSC_0208 by skylarkul, on Flickr

DSC_0205 by skylarkul, on Flickr

DSC_0204 by skylarkul, on Flickr

:beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
Here's the shock relocation bracket from Baer brakes part # 6801105 , punch the part number on their search engine on their web site and it will pull it up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks Mike.

BTW, I thought I remembered seeing some pictures and drawings of eBrake and shock relocation brackets that you posted but, can't seem to find them. Was that you or, am I getting senile?

Pounce,

The answer is yes. The Blazer swap will work for you. But, there are several options using the blazer spindles and hubs. You can use the complete Blazer set-up or upgrade to the larger LS1 (99-05) Camaro fronts. I chose to go the Camaro route but ended up going further with C5/6 Corvette front rotors - that's a whole different story. You need an adapter bracket to attach the Camaro PAB (Pad Abuttment Bracket) (never heard the term until I started this project). I purchased the bracket from Kore3 in Oregon but, they sent me the Corvette adapter. Their products are great but, the guy Tobin that owns the place is a first class jerk. Because of a dispute over what I wanted and what I got, I chose to buy the matching Corvette PAB from another source rather than have any further dealings with Tobin. The Camaro disks measured 11.9" and the Corvette measures 12.%

Les, The Front Camaro LS1 Rotors & PAB's are offset differently. This along with the slightly smaller diameter of the rotor would cause you to have to make serious modifications to the Blazer spindle. I think this is what/why Tobin steered you toward the Corvette PAB/Rotor combo. I attempted to make my own brackets and utilize the LS1 Rotors & PAB's. It was possible, but not logical due to the amount of grinding you have to do to the Blazer spindle itself. No one currently markets them that I am aware of.

I'm not sticking up for Tobin. I do know his specialty is brakes and he knows the easy way around an effective braking system. I think in the long run he was trying to help you.

·
2,749 Posts
Here's the shock relocation bracket from Baer brakes part # 6801105 , punch the part number on their search engine on their web site and it will pull it up.
Thanks Greg. Baer's search function isn't working right now. Also, making the shock bracket out of 1.5 inch angle is pretty much a no-brainer but, the pictures and drawing I remember included both the shock bracket and the parking brake bracket. I thought it was in a post by Darbysan but haven't been able to track it down.:beer:

·
2,749 Posts
I'm not sticking up for Tobin. I do know his specialty is brakes and he knows the easy way around an effective braking system. I think in the long run he was trying to help you.
The bracket he sent me is a work of art and I have no doubt he knows brakes but, being knowledgeable and producing a great product doesn't necessarily mean his customer service (attitude) is on the same level.:frown:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great info, brake upgrade is one of the first things I want to do on my 69 as it is all drums. Got any links or recommendations on this? Was thinking of getting the ground up kit for 550.

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
I just put the photo of the shock relocation bracket and e brake parts of the face book site for ECC, I could not get it to up load here so I put it there for everybody.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dammit!!! Looking GREAT les:beer:LOVE the blue,even got the "matching jackstands":poke:Sorry about your bad experience with tobin.so you went ahead with the corvette pab's I see(much easier)look up warrens you tubes he's fabbed up a badaSS e-brake adapter bracket,out of angle iron and a lil machining,as well as some shock relocation brackets.anyone needing the same set les is running(corvette pab's and adapter bracket sold separately through dealer)I have 3 sets for 475.00 ea shipped.Pm me if interested.

·
2,749 Posts
Thanks Jose,

I'm really goin to like it when I get done but, I was a little surprised to find I had wheel rub on the caliper. I'm running 17" Torque Thrusts. I've ordered 1/4 inch spacers and 1/2 inch longer studs - which should take care of it. It will still be a tight fit but, compared to the 10.5 inch Elky rotors, those Vette rotors are honkin big. Should be no problem stopping.:beer:

·
2,749 Posts
I just put the photo of the shock relocation bracket and e brake parts of the face book site for ECC, I could not get it to up load here so I put it there for everybody.
Thanks Greg,

I'll look it up when I get home.:You_Rock:

·
Registered
547 Posts
The bracket he sent me is a work of art and I have no doubt he knows brakes but, being knowledgeable and producing a great product doesn't necessarily mean his customer service (attitude) is on the same level.:frown:
I dealt with Tobin on a C6 brake conversion on my '73. He went above and beyond on this, even going as far as finding a wheel that would fit around the front rotors.

compared to the 10.5 inch Elky rotors, those Vette rotors are honkin big.
I went with the 355mm (14") rotors on the front. They're HUGE. The 305mm (12") rotors that went on the back looked tiny in comparison, but they're still quite large.

·
Supporting Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks Greg. Baer's search function isn't working right now. Also, making the shock bracket out of 1.5 inch angle is pretty much a no-brainer but, the pictures and drawing I remember included both the shock bracket and the parking brake bracket. I thought it was in a post by Darbysan but haven't been able to track it down.:beer:
Those photos were buried in another post, so to make it easier to find, I created a new post here:
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?p=483327#post483327

HTH

·
2,749 Posts
Thanks Mike. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks Brett.

I am waiting for wheel spacers and longer studs to finish up the front but, should be done this next week. I have most of the parts but, it will probably be a few weeks before I tackle the rears.:You_Rock:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Skylarkul, I like you break set up, do you mind giving me a walk through what parts do I need and is there any Fab work or just bolt and go? Will this fit my 14 inch wheels or do I need bigger?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Also for those interested in doing the Blazer brake/spindle swap, the spindles from the 2002-2006 S-10 eXtreme were the same size, that is what I used on my 1987 and they bolted right in with no problems. Plenty of room on my 15" Monte Carlo SS wheels, not sure about the 14" wheels though.
Dave

21 - 40 of 70 Posts