El Camino Central Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can I just order the 2" Blazer Drop spindle if I want to lower the front as well? Or should I use lowering springs instead and use stock blazer spindles and brake set up?

I want to lower the front and back 2", and upgrade the brakes at the same time.

I'll be upgrading to 15x7 Trans Am snowflake wheels.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The studs are 12MM X1.5 54MM Long ( just over 2")( Dorman PN 610-323). You can get them at your local O'reilly's or Autozone, but they are cheaper if you buy online.
here's some at Summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-610-323
The hubs that I got for my Blazer brake upgrade have a different thread pitch than stock. I am also having a small clearance issue and considering a spacer. Does anyone know where to find wheel studs that are the stock standard thread pitch that are 2.5" long that will fit in the Blazer hub?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi all, I have read through just about every forum dealing with this brake swap. I was wondering if anyone knew what the minimum inside diameter of the wheel needed to be for the blazer front brakes. I currently have some American racing torque thrusts on the front that measure at 13.25" on the ID of the wheel. I really don't want to buy new wheels as I like the look of the staggered 14 & 15" wheels.

·
Supporting Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Pretty sure 14" wheels will not work. Some 15" wheels have been reported to work, but with machining on the caliper for clearance. My 16" Blazer wheels don't clear by much.

Might consider using a 2-piston caliper with the stock disks, or a "large Bore" single caliper- probably better .

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
sorry everybody's pm me and wanting these set-ups i have!!! pm cleared.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I have a question for all of you who have done this swap:
Will the blazer spindle and bearing combination move the hub face surface outward or inward at all?
Is this something to consider for the offset of new wheels?

Thanks for your opinions.

Ricardo

·
Supporting Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
IIRC, it moved my wheels outboard less than 1/4" ea side- probably closer to 1/8".

·
Registered
157 Posts
1/8" to 3/16" outward. I just completed the swap and wished I'd gotten an exact measurement! I can try to get you an exact measurement this weekend....I'm running a 20" X 8" with a 4.5" backspace wheel and have had no problems after the swap. I have learned from another forum that the aftermarket Belltech 2102 dropped spindle will definitely move the wheel out 1/2" per side though.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Thanks for the information.
I ordered my front wheels today.
AR Torque Thrust II 17x8 4" BS.I hope no problems with them

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wanted to get the Blazer brake set up done a couple years ago but couldn’t find any good Blazer donors so I had to move along with my restoration . I’m almost ready to get the elky on the road now and have a few questions:
1)when I do eventually find a good donor to do the swap, out of the 99-05 yrs of the Blazer, was there any year blazer that worked the best for performance or was the whole 99-05 model year pretty much the same set up
2) And then for the rims and tires, I have only the OEM 14” rally rims to get the elky on the road with 90% tread life but 5+ yr old tires. The plan is for 17 x 8 rims (currently have a couple styles I’m interested in and something of 235-245/50/17 tires. So could I go ahead and get the custom rims / tires and then do the blazer swap? Or do I need to wait until I do the swap. Would the offset and rim/tire size change when the brake swap is done? I really don’t trust the 14’’ tires based on the age and wouldn’t want to waste money on 14” tires considering 14” rims won’t fit after the swap is done(that’s what I hear from the post). But, yea, am I gonna waste money on a new custom set of rims and tires to put on the original brake set up and then find myself having them not fit after the blazer brake swap is done because of the offset or something changed? the last few post here back in 2016 from Ricardo and mike seem to have answered my question but then Brett had his problem....so..IDK now. Thanks all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just a side note..

I’ve owned my share of 1/2 ton 4X4 Chevy blazers and trucks (1970-1972). A common trick to make the brakes perform better was to replace the stock master cylinder with a 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
a few questions:
1)when I do eventually find a good donor to do the swap, out of the 99-05 yrs of the Blazer, was there any year blazer that worked the best for performance or was the whole 99-05 model year pretty much the same set up

2) And then for the rims and tires, I have only the OEM 14” rally rims to get the elky on the road with 90% tread life but 5+ yr old tires. The plan is for 17 x 8 rims (currently have a couple styles I’m interested in and something of 235-245/50/17 tires. So could I go ahead and get the custom rims / tires and then do the blazer swap? Or do I need to wait until I do the swap. Would the offset and rim/tire size change when the brake swap is done? I really don’t trust the 14’’ tires based on the age and wouldn’t want to waste money on 14” tires considering 14” rims won’t fit after the swap is done(that’s what I hear from the post). But, yea, am I gonna waste money on a new custom set of rims and tires to put on the original brake set up and then find myself having them not fit after the blazer brake swap is done because of the offset or something changed? the last few post here back in 2016 from Ricardo and mike seem to have answered my question but then Brett had his problem....so..IDK now. Thanks all.
1- AFAIK, any year from 99-05 is as good as another year. just make sure it is a 4x2 4-door

2- get the wheels/tires first just in case there is a clearance issue. some people have noted a clearance issue depending on what wheels they bought. the brake calipers and rotor are minimally bigger enough to potentially interfere with the 14" set, so go ahead and buy what you want (within reason). offset and backspacing should not be affected simply because you went bigger. verifying the turning radius clearance after mounting would be my biggest concern. are you buying from a local shop or mail order? any decent tire shop would mount them and spin lock-to-lock on the ground to make sure of clearance issues.

I have yet to swap out my stuff because of time/$$ issues

·
Supporting Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I don't think Stock 14" rims won't work on the Blazer upgrade, but stock 15" do work. The upgrade moves the front wheel out about 1/8", so no real worries about offset.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Cyberray/Mike
Thanks for confirming about the years and about the 14” rims. I will probably just keep them for nostalgic reasons because I pulled them off in 1986, basically they’re still brand new looking. From 86- mid 2000’s had 5 spoke 15”Camaro rims on(only rims, tires rotted off, LOL), then around last year bought 16” 02’ IROC chrome rims, now I decided to go with 17”, ugh-boy! I probably won’t locally buy rims cause of the typical mark up and not a large selection from shops due to living in paradise. Probably an online order from Costco, tirerack or some internet website. Would bite the bullet on shipping but at least I would get what I want. Example: I ordered off road tires and rims for my truck from 4WD.com(online) shipping included was $1300. Local off road place wanted $3800. The tires, probably Costco. I may have Costco mount/balance or I’ll just take them to the Base auto hobby shop and do it myself or I can let them do it. And big thanks for clearing up about whether to buy the new rims and tires before or after the Blazer swap. I will need to have an alignment done due to my resto job(not yet done). I replaced inner/outer tie rods, upper lower ball joints and found myself taking out a few shims to get the chamfer somewhat aligned. When I do the blazer spindle change would I have to do an alignment again? Again, thanks for all the help.

·
Supporting Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
At least locally, Costco will only do tires that were stock size on the vehicle. They refused to mount 16" tires on my ZQ8 rims on the Elky, even though it already had the same size tire on the Elky, and showed no signs of interference.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I just ordered all of the parts to do a 4 wheel Blazer brake upgrade. All parts are new except for the parking brake and caliper Mount , rear and the spindles, front. I don't include the master cylinder, proportioning valve or flexible brake lines as I already had upgraded these.

All of the parts came from Rock Auto, and none of the local chains can match their prices.

Here is the complete list.

G Body Brake Upgrade, Blazer Brakes (Source: Rock Auto)
Part Name Part Number Manufacturer Price Qty Total Cost
Caliper, L Front A1C 18-P4695 Cardone $28.79 1 $28.79
Caliper, R Front A1C 18-P4694 Cardone $28.79 1 $28.79
Caliper bolt DOR 14006 Dorman $4.91 4 $19.64
Rotor, Front RAY 56694R Raybestos $15.74 2 $31.48
Rotor, Rear RAY 56725R Raybestos $16.42 2 $32.84
Caliper, L Rear RAY FRC10994N Raybestos $52.79 1 $52.79
Caliper, R. Rear RAY FRC10993N Raybestos $61.79 1 $61.79
Backing Plate, RR AC 88935978 AC DELCO $11.73 1 $11.73
Backing Plate, LR AC 88935977 AC DELCO $11.78 1 $11.78
Backing Plate, LF AC 15704499 AC DELCO $33.79 1 $33.79
Backing Plate, RF AC 15704500 AC DELCO $33.89 1 $33.89
Wheel Brg/Hub HUB 513200 Power Stop $34.79 2 $69.58
Park HW Kit H7321 Carlson $11.54 1 $11.54
Park Lever/Seal 924244 Dorman $23.79 1 $23.79
Brake Cable, F BC 95228 Raybestos $9.71 1 $9.71
Parking Cable LR 18P2574 AC DELCO $16.01 1 $16.01
Parking Cable RR 18P2774 AC DELCO $20.74 1 $20.74
Brake Pads, F RS SGD726C Raybestos $16.83 1 $16.83
Brake Pads, R RS SGD729C Raybestos $16.83 1 $16.83
Total New Parts $532.34

Used Rear Brake Caliper Mount 1 pair $140.00
& Parking Brake Assy

Used Front Spindles 1 Pair $150.00
Total Used Parts $290.00

Grand Total $822.34

·
Supporting Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
If the front flex lines you upgraded were the Elky model, they may be too short for the blazer upgrade. You also will need the front Blazer Brake line brackets. Watch out for interference with the front brake lines and the lower control arm, especially in up/down movement. There is a slight curl on the control arm that was rubbing my brake hose, and eventually it went out. Luckily, I was in a parking lot going slow, so was able to get it stopped.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Toyin,

Several suggestions and comments: (1) you have to continually monitor Craigslist to find the Blazer parts. I just got front and rear disc brakes off of a 2000 Blazer for $150. (2) Since you also have military privileges and access to NEX, checkout the new Navy Car Care Center. They carry most tire brands at substantial savings as well as custom wheels. More importantly, if you buy the tires from them, the charges for mounting and balancing will run around $125. (3) Do not get their wheel alignment package...too expensive. I opted to go to Goodyear.

When you're ready to get the Blazer brake setup, send me a PM. I know of a guy in Waianae who has a crap load of S-10's and possibly Blazers.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts