El Camino Central Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
I finally scored on finding the brakes from an 04' 2WD 4 door. Everything looks to be in very nice condition. will have the Rotors turned instead of buying new ones. got them soaking with PB blaster, kinda hard to get them off the hub. i had a bad experience with buying new Raybestos rotors.. the surface wasnt true and had to get them turned anyway. all of the brake pads seemed brand new with 95% + life still in them. one of the rear calipers seemed aftermarket but very in very nice condition. the piston seals are not leaking and the rubber is still very flexable. i'll probably replace all 4 brake hoses just for that warm and fuzzy. from post #58 it looks like i'll only need the parking brake parts except for
Park HW Kit H7321 Carlson $11.54 1 $11.54... mine still look good. Oh, got the bump stops too. Was that about it?
brakes.jpg

·
Registered
783 Posts
I finally scored on finding the brakes from an 04' 2WD 4 door. Everything looks to be in very nice condition. will have the Rotors turned instead of buying new ones. got them soaking with PB blaster, kinda hard to get them off the hub. i had a bad experience with buying new Raybestos rotors.. the surface wasnt true and had to get them turned anyway. all of the brake pads seemed brand new with 95% + life still in them. one of the rear calipers seemed aftermarket but very in very nice condition. the piston seals are not leaking and the rubber is still very flexable. i'll probably replace all 4 brake hoses just for that warm and fuzzy. from post #58 it looks like i'll only need the parking brake parts except for
Park HW Kit H7321 Carlson $11.54 1 $11.54... mine still look good. Oh, got the bump stops too. Was that about it? View attachment 139333
Nice! You'll be happy with the improved braking performance. You may want to upgrade the brake master at the same time too. A RHD blazer master cylinder is a direct swap for our cars. Also I personally used stock G-body rubber lines on the front with the Blazer mounting brackets.

·
Registered
611 Posts
thanks Squag27, i searched that M/C for an 04 blazer and found on rockauto that they are all advertised with being LHD. Yes it looks like the RHD is what i need, i will continue to go thru our threads here at ECC and see what i find. when i did a search i found on the G-body forum 2 recommendations had the ACDelco 18M974 RHD (rockauto one was ACDelco 18M973 LHD for the blazer) and for a RAYBESTOS MC39328( this went to 80's carpice/impala, camaro,etc.). cant seem to find any hits on rockauto or amazon for the ACDelco 18M974

Master cylinder for Blazer brake upgrade with C5 fronts and (stock drum rears) 12/18-upgrade to rear disc

just picked up my turned rotors from carquest, i couldnt get the front rotors separated from the hubs...but they did. 4 turned rotors ($15 ea) and rotors separated ($15).. total $75

i saw, i think in another thread that someone wasnt using their dust/rock sheild/backing plate on the front. what was the reason for this? is there a reason for taking it off?

·
Registered
611 Posts
What i learned so far about the pistons. While cleaning up all these parts and getting ready to rebuild the calipers i found the front dual pistons are steel and aluminum (left side in pic). I cleaned them up with fine steel wool. When i pulled the first rear out i thought it was burnt and scored and was ready to do a number on them with steel wool, but pulled off the other rear and found they looked the same. Found out they are made from phenolic plastic and the rim is aluminum. the best way to clean them was with brake fluid… no harsh chemicals like thinner, gasoline etc. i never knew about this phenolic type piston…. Learn something new everyday.
6D1B961C-F2ED-486A-962A-D84D5D888DA0.jpeg
AF924535-60D5-4301-9438-5FEAAF5355EB.jpeg
C208AE0B-5B40-4648-BDD4-728196DD656D.jpeg

·
Registered
783 Posts
I only disassembled my rear calipers when I did mine but I did notice they were a composite like yours pictured.
To follow up on your previous post, I went with the Raybestos MC from RockAuto for the RHD blazer and it's worked quite well for me so far. I personally wasn't able to find the AC Delco one everyone else seems to run. Looks like it's been discontinued.

·
Supporting Member
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Just for info, I kept the stock MC and the stock Proportioning valve, and have had no issues at all. Might be worth a try before spending money unnecessarily.

Also found that getting the seals back on the caliper was a real trial. They do make a seal install tool, but I didn't have one. Lots of patience , and I was able to get them on.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I only disassembled my rear calipers when I did mine but I did notice they were a composite like yours pictured.
To follow up on your previous post, I went with the Raybestos MC from RockAuto for the RHD blazer and it's worked quite well for me so far. I personally wasn't able to find the AC Delco one everyone else seems to run. Looks like it's been discontinued.
ok, thanks for checking on those 2 MC's, i saw some were also using the older style dual iron w/ metal lid

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just for info, I kept the stock MC and the stock Proportioning valve, and have had no issues at all. Might be worth a try before spending money unnecessarily.

Also found that getting the seals back on the caliper was a real trial. They do make a seal install tool, but I didn't have one. Lots of patience , and I was able to get them on.
Yea, while doing my off frame i did install a new OEM MC and a new Proportioning valve(from Summit Racing) now after finally finding the Blazer set up(for the last 3-4 yrs) i'd hate to have to replace them, but yea 1'll try the Blazer brake with what i've got and see how they feel. i'm sure someone had already made a previous post somewhere, but what was the advantage of the MC change out again?

i was trying to feel for that snap ring to get those front seals off and found there was none, so i just stuck a small narrow flat screw driver in there, worked it a little and they came out. i have the new ones and did like a pre-fit....yea, they do look like a real trial :(. after i get done painting the calipers i thought about covering the seals with a thin piece of wood and going around tapping them down using a small brass drift and hammer. Did u put them on dry or lightly coat them with silicone spray or oil?

·
Registered
480 Posts
How are you guys measuring "improved brake performance"?

·
Registered
783 Posts
How are you guys measuring "improved brake performance"?
Honestly I did my MC swap more for seat of the pants feel when braking. With the blazer disk swap front and rear, the car always stopped on a dime even with the stock MC but with the new one the pedal doesn't feel as spongy.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts