El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 1982 Elky in great condition. It's a gunmetal grey, completely original V6 289. I love this thing. I prefer driving my Elky than driving my Charger.

Unfortunately, today my windshield was foggy and when I went to switch from OFF to DEFROST on the control panel, it was stuck. I forced it and it went all the way over. Now I could smoothly transition to all the settings and they work; no problem. However, now I have a hissing sound on all the settings except for VENT. The sound decreases when I accelerate and increases if I'm idling.
Can anyone tell me what this is and how to get rid of it??

I appreciate all the help and I'm very happy to be part of this tight-knit community....

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
When you forced the control, you may have cracked the vacuum valve behind the heater/AC control panel, or maybe when the control broke loose, the jolt made a vacuum line came off back there.
You will likely have to remove that control panel enough to look it over. If you can pull it far away enough to get at the back side, probing around the valve & vac lines with a piece of hose, (when the engine is running) held up to your ear, may help isolate the source of the noise/leak etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, JPM...
I should have known it's all in the details...

That's a 1982 Chevrolet El Camino, 3.8L 229CI V6.

Thanks for catching that...

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
x2 on a cracked diaphram in the vent controls,,,if ya need one we got a spare truck im sure it is still there if ya find yours is not repairable,,,welcome to the site,,,enjoy,,,woody31 out,,,,cheers,,,:beer:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As you might already know, I'm new at this. Can anyone give me a quick block of instruction on how to remove the control panel? Does it snap off or is it hooked to brackets?

Yes... I am embarrassed at my lack of knowledge. I've always taken my vehicles to the shop for any little thing but, I really want to OWN my Camino. So I'm starting from the bottom rung. Hopefully I'll succeed with your help.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hey there hold up ,, no need to be embarareseds at all( i cant spell) there should be a plastic trim that goes around it i think it snaps off,, then there should be screws at each corner holding it in, you will see it once you have the trim piece out ,,,,stay with it you will get it and as always....cheers,,,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey, Welcome to the world of classic cruk's, these guy's have a world of knowledge take advantage of it! Welcome from the Crystal Coast of NC!!! Ken:beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
As Woody said, there are four screws, one in each corner of the piece that the control, cig lighter, radio fit into. Once you get the bracket removed/moved enough to get to the AC/heater control, you will find four screws holding the control into place. When removing the bracket, be careful of the cig lighter, as it put into place fairly tightly. Now you have the control loose, pull it outward, and you can see two sets of vacuum lines, on the left (I believe) are two vacuum hoses, and on the right is a connector with several hoses set in connector. Make sure all hoses/lines are making full connection with the recepticle on the control. Reinstall in reverse order.:beer:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope these pics come out.

Well, I did what was advised by woody and beepster. It really wasn't difficult at all. Thanks gentlemen. So I discovered the problem is the connector on the right with several hoses. The hoses themselves are connected however that gap between the round pieces in the first pic is not supposed to be there. I would push it together with my finger and the leak would stop. That metal piece sticking out on the opposite of the hoses had a plastic piece (found it in the bezel) that kept it in place.

Now... Does anyone know what this connector is called and where can I get it?? I'm thinking about hitting a couple of salvage yards down the road. Is this one of those interchangeable parts?

As always... All advice is very appreciated.

OK... The pics didn't come out. Haha... Oh man...
How do I post pics??

[email protected]

In case someone needs the pics in order to narrow their advice...

Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts