El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to start my 305/350 build this is something I never thought I would attempt but sense I joined the ECC my truck hasn't seen a mechanic's shop I do it all with your help. There' my start today brought this home from work.

So first priority is por-15 paint the engine is still all taped up from the factory paint so no taping required. Next I will need to find some quality parts Fuel pump, oil pump, water pump My alternator and starter are less than a year old and Rich picked up a intake manifold. I could use your help with picking the best for less parts.:beer:
This will be a daily driver project only.

More pic's to come
Robert

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Yea, I don't think that will be a good motor, maybe you should just give it to me!!!:poke:
Let the swap begin!!
Keep the pics. coming!!!
Donny

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Why an oil pump? It has a new one in it. Might effect the warranty as well.

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,457 Posts
Robert, 464elky is right. The engine already has an oil pump on it, you will not need to open up the oil pan for anything.

·
Registered
184 Posts
On the painting...Your ground is really essential! Pick a place you will be making the strap attachments and save some bare metal in those areas. Maybe just install a bolt with a large washer or such that you can remove later. Many engines have a larger strap from the battery near the front, often to the alternator bracket (but that is just an easy place for the factory, you can do it in a more out of the view place), then there is a small strap at the back of the block attached to the firewall.

Also, don't get any paint like that in a place you will be putting gaskets.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I don't think that will be a good motor, maybe you should just give it to me!!!:poke:
Let the swap begin!!
Keep the pics. coming!!!
Donny
WHEN I'M DONE YOU WANT MY 305 MOST THE PARTS ARE STAYING ON IT AND IT RUNS FINE.:beer::texas: I EVEN HAVE A CRATE TO PUT IT IN.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
If budget is a consideration why would you paint a freshly painted motor? and why would you use an expensive product like POR-15 when rattle-can engine enamel will do the same job. The motor below was shot with 2 cans of black engine enamel 5 years ago. It was recently pulled from my corvette to be readied for the El camino, and all it needed was a little de-greasing to look like this.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I don't think so there's a paper cup in the hole or is that the fuel pump? I just un-crated it last night and didn't really take a close look.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If budget is a consideration why would you paint a freshly painted motor? and why would you use an expensive product like POR-15 when rattle-can engine enamel will do the same job. The motor below was shot with 2 cans of black engine enamel 5 years ago. It was recently pulled from my corvette to be readied for the El camino, and all it needed was a little de-greasing to look like this.

http://earchitect.50megs.com/Elcamino/images/engine/DSCF1284.JPG
This is going to be my 1-year old granddaughters first ride so that's about at least another 15-years. I would like to do a first class job even if it cost more plus I want to start showing it. More money now Less later?

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the painting...Your ground is really essential! Pick a place you will be making the strap attachments and save some bare metal in those areas. Maybe just install a bolt with a large washer or such that you can remove later. Many engines have a larger strap from the battery near the front, often to the alternator bracket (but that is just an easy place for the factory, you can do it in a more out of the view place), then there is a small strap at the back of the block attached to the firewall.

Also, don't get any paint like that in a place you will be putting gaskets.
Good idea for the grounds and stuff. The engine is all plugged from the factory painting it. I'm sure that's their last process before crating it so I was thinking that this should be my start so I don't have to do anything except paint it as is?

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robert, 464elky is right. The engine already has an oil pump on it, you will not need to open up the oil pan for anything.

I'm not sure but I thought I saw a post that my oil pan may need to be changed on the new motor because of size may not fit? Don't forget I have never done this before that's why I'm here I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
I'm not sure but I thought I saw a post that my oil pan may need to be changed on the new motor because of size may not fit? Don't forget I have never done this before that's why I'm here I need all the help I can get.
I would be very surprised if this were the case.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would be very surprised if this were the case.
When I first started a thread it really got confusing with different answers to the same question and I was lost till Rich who lives close by had already did the same swap and calmed me down. This isn't rocket science doing a swap and nothing else I have learned it's just being prepared for the job and something will come up that's life and will deal with it at that time.
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
If it was a 305 coming out and a 350 going in the oil pans should work, your dipstick mey be on the pass side instead of the drivers side though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't think so there's a paper cup in the hole or is that the fuel pump? I just un-crated it last night and didn't really take a close look.
Thats the fuel pump, the oil pump is inside of the oil pan. Theres no need to change the oil pan and that motor has holes on both sides for the dipstick, so no prob there either.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts

Yeah that was me. I put this same engine in my 78. The new crate motor comes with an oil pan that has different mounts for the dipstick, think hot rod application, like a duece coupe, etc. You can use either the right side or the left side. But If you are using your stock exhaust manifolds the dipstick won't fit the driver's side. Since my old engine threw a few rods thru the old pan I had to buy another factory style pan. You can either trust me on this or get screwed like I did and have to pull the left exhaust manifold, disconnect the motor mounts and remove the flywheel cover, jack up the motor and find a way to support it w/o it resting on the oil pan and then change the pan and scrape off the old gasket while it falls in your face, etc.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rob I have some stock exhaust manifold we can use for mock up before you drop the motor in to check and see what you can do for the dipstick. your motor has the dipstick on the passenger side unlike earlier motors which had them on the driver side so I believe you will be ok. when you come for the manifold you can take them to use for testing

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You guys are missing the point. The original pan has a welded on plate that tilts the dipstick forward. The pan that comes with the engine has a hole straight up on both sides. I can post pics if you want.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I want to see some pictures.. Mikey likes pictures!:nanawrench:

·
Registered
139 Posts
hkdup are you keeping a list of what you are having to install to make the swap? i'm considering doing this next summer just want to keep an idea whats going to be needed.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts