El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I need some help. Right now I have a holley street avenger 570 on my 283. Initial timing is 10 degrees advanced and all in at 30 degrees at 3000 rpms. from a dead stop it bogs down until about 2500rpm, then i supposed the secondaries kicked in and she accelerated much better. I changed the secondary spring to the stiffest spring to keep the secondaries from opening and this helped immensely but there was still a slight stutter. The idle mixture screws are turned out 1 and 3/4 turns. I threw on an edelbrock 600, part # 1406, and it ran much better. It didn't seem to have as high end acceleration but at least it accelerated without any hesitation or bogging down. WHAT gives?!? the edelbrock has bigger jets and a larger cfm. I'm spinning my wheels trying to figure out what else to do! PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bogging issue.

Automatic tranny or stick? Put the stock spring back in and use a vacuum gauge to set mixture. Adjust primary pump if needed and match power valve to your vacuum reading.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its paired to a turbo 350. if i bring the total to 37 degrees, that will put my initial at 17 degrees. I'm only getting about 20 degrees of mechanical advance. Is that alright or is that going to be to much advance on a hot start. I set the mixtures screws with a vacuum gauge. if i remember right, i want to say i was pulling about 16" of vacuum.

·
Registered
555 Posts
its paired to a turbo 350. if i bring the total to 37 degrees, that will put my initial at 17 degrees. I'm only getting about 20 degrees of mechanical advance. Is that alright or is that going to be to much advance on a hot start. I set the mixtures screws with a vacuum gauge. if i remember right, i want to say i was pulling about 16" of vacuum.
17 degrees is fine, I fire mine at 25 degrees with 8:1 compression. Even if you have 10 or 11:1 compression it will be fine. Mixture screws control the idle circiuit and play a small part in th acceleration curcuit, but to really get more fuel in there when you stomp on it, you need bigger shooter valves or a different cam on the accelerator pump. After you add 7 degrees of timing, the hesitation might go away and you wont need to add any fuel.

Give it a try if you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts