El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped a Holley 750 Vac secondary (model 3310) on my 350 4 bolt main. Finally evicted that POS Carter AFB! Any how, the car was running well for a day then I noticed she started running rough. Chugging at idle, sounded like she dropped an octive out of the exhaust. When I mash the throtle she just quits. I am new at this DIY mechanic stuff so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of a new accelerator pump and maybe stepping up the jets, not sure what size is in there now. Oh, and how easy is it to install an anti-backfire kit on them suckers? I would rather not be replacing power valves on the regular. Any more info needed? Just ask me. Got a 1980 El Camino w/ a 350 4 bolt main and a 350 turbo trans. Want this thing to eat Mustangs! Help!?

G

·
THANKS FOR THE ???
unless you have LOTS OF MOTOR AND GEAR ya got way too much carb
we need more info on your combo to offer any sound advice,
cam spec, compression ratio, gears tranny ect ect overall weight
what are goals bruiser or cruiser??:beer:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If it was running good and then not so good sounds like some dirt got in the float bowls. Double check the float level and pull the needle and seats out and clean or replace them. Could be a power valve problem also. The carb should already have a backfire check valve in it. Unless you have a stout 350 in there it may be a bit too much carb. You can jet it down a few sizes. That will help on the primary side.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had a similiar problem with my 82 with a 305 hooked up to a edelbrock highrise and a Holley 650 (again... way to much carb...previous owners fault). I checked my timing, it was retarded instead of advanced... so i reset the timing, throwing my air/fuel ratio WAAYY out of wack... To tune your carb, If its like mine, set your timing, set your idle (about where it won't die) by turning the screw located on the throttle linkage... And there should be two primary adjustment screws located on each side of the carb, just forward of the two bowls... With the engine running, turn both in simultaneously until the engine begins to chug a little (but not die)... Back off about 3/4 a turn... From here you should be able to tighten each adjustment screw (one at a time) until the engine begins to either die...or almost die... From there back out the screw until it sounds like that side of the motor is running smooth. Do the same thing for the opposing side of the carb and you should be fine... Not a bad idea to advance the timing a little too... By doing this I can smoke the hell out of mustangs, SOME camaros, and I've even smoked an Avalanche... not bad I think... Hope this helps some...

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
If the carb is a late 3310, it will have the back-fire protector valve in it. I have an old 80s that doesn't have it, and a newer 3310 that I haven't looked at for that little item.
And like said above, way too much carb for your 350. The Holley 600, model 1850 is about the right CFM, as well as the 650 Edelbrock like bonos40 said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.