El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I put a new tank in my 78 El Camino back in 2007. My friends haven't gotten back with me yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Holley regulates the fuel pressure on the return line port, if you regulate the fuel pressure before the Sniper you can plug the return line port on the Sniper.

Some options to do that are the Corvette fuel filter which doubles as a regulator, it mounts down by the tank and has a return line port on the filter. There are also pumps that return the excess fuel pressure internally so only a high pressure line needs to exit the tank.

Just about every method is easier than a full return return line from the engine but I do that anyway, the circulating fuel means you always have cool fuel at the injectors and regulating the pressure after the demand is always more stable than regulating it before the demand.

Just my 2 cents 😉

·
Registered
1987 SS El Camino
41 Posts
I've just recently done the Sniper EFI system setup in my 87. I purchased an EFI gas tank from OPG that has the sump and is correct fot the V-6 EFI engines for these vehicles. Bought the EFI sending unit for this same setup from Mikes Montes and added a Walbro 255 lph fuel pump. Used the existing hard line for my supply and ran aluminum hard line for the return. I've had many challenges with this setup that I'm still trying to get worked out with Holley (increasing idle as the engine gets hot, stalling when cold and when A/C is turned on). But when its working correctly it is amazing. Great throttle response, easy starts and much better gas mileage. I've documented with video this whole process so far to date in hopes that it will help others with this upgrade. I'll be posting the finished video on my YouTube channel when I get these issues resolved so I can pass the info along. My channel is g3 garage for those who are interested.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Car

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,237 Posts
Not a big deal at all. Weekend project. I love my FI sniper big block. Fires right up idles immediately. Custom tuning curve that’s impossible to duplicate with an old mech + vacuum system

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The only thing I've found with running the Sniper is if using poor quality ignition system components, RFI interference can cause issues. Up until recently I was using ebay plug wires and distributor and would have issues with idling and even stalling. Switching to a good name brand HEI dizzy along with properly routed MSD wires fixed all those problems though.

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thank you. It is supposed to be for a 78 V-8. I'll have to get a Holley Hydramat connection.

·
Registered
1969 El Camino Restomod
113 Posts
From the linked article,

"After driving the car, we do have one critique. It appears that Holley has used a different throttle linkage arm on the Sniper that shortens the distance from the throttle shaft to where the throttle pedal connects. This quickens the ratio and increases the effort. This makes the car hard to drive in close traffic as pedal effort is dramatically increased. This makes it easy to open the throttle too far. Holley makes an adapter but we will probably just make our own extension."

So, the part they recommend for fixing the acceleration issue only works on the standard Sniper, not on the Sniper Stealth version.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thank you. It is supposed to be for a 78 V-8. I'll have to get a Holley Hydramat connection.
Well let me know if you need any other help with setting up your fuel system.

From the linked article,

"After driving the car, we do have one critique. It appears that Holley has used a different throttle linkage arm on the Sniper that shortens the distance from the throttle shaft to where the throttle pedal connects. This quickens the ratio and increases the effort. This makes the car hard to drive in close traffic as pedal effort is dramatically increased. This makes it easy to open the throttle too far. Holley makes an adapter but we will probably just make our own extension."

So, the part they recommend for fixing the acceleration issue only works on the standard Sniper, not on the Sniper Stealth version.
^^^This too! I fabbed up my own as well. This is a must for the Sniper.

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thank you I'll let you know. Part of the reason I'm asking questions is to see what what parts I'll need to get it in.

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
1,063 Posts
I used my existing fuel line and vent line to the vapor canister. I ran a second 3/8" (aluminum) line, parallel to the existing fuel line, for the return

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thank you. I appreciate your help and information. About how long does the 6an line need to be?

21 - 40 of 147 Posts