El Camino Central Forum banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Thank you. I plan to get Hydramat. I'm not very comfortable cutting up the fuel tank. I don't know if I can do it right. My skills aren't very good in that type of work. You have been very helpful. Much appreciated. And everyone else has been helpful as well.

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
994 Posts
I used the V6 sending unit in what started as a non-EFI tank. I changed the pump to a Holley unit and have no issues; the in-tank pump is quiet enough and delivers enough fuel

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Thank you. Does the Holley retrofit have a number to locate it? What did you need to do to the fuel tank to get it done?

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Thank you. I found the bar in your post and clicked on it. Do you need to do any fabrication on the tank, when you installed it?

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
What difference would there be if I put in a Holley 19-369 with a Hydramat in a V8 tank vs aV6 tank?

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,221 Posts
Thank you. I found the bar in your post and clicked on it. Do you need to do any fabrication on the tank, when you installed it?
Nope. Cut a hole on the flat section on the top of the tank. The assembly though can accommodate the ribs on top of the tank due to a thick compression gasket

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Thank you for your information. I don't know if I can cut the tank, correctly, I think I'll try a different pump first and if it doesn't work, I'll try cutting a hole in the tank.

·
Registered
71 El Camino 350 Chevy Crate Engine with 700R tranny
1 Posts
Thank you for your information. I don't know if I can cut the tank, correctly, I think I'll try a different pump first and if it doesn't work, I'll try cutting a hole in the tank.
Did you get the Sniper installed and if so how'd it turn out? Easy enough? I'm getting ready to do it on my 71. The kit is at my house now.

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
No I haven't did it yet. I bought mine from my friends NAPA store. I didn't get the fuel pump I wanted. I've ordered another hope I can get it next week. I'm also trying to get less fuel in the tank so I don't have to syphon much out.

·
Registered
86 El Camino SS. 305 with 200-4r overdrive trans. Sniper EFI.
29 Posts
I'm in the process of finishing up my Sniper EFI install on my 86 stock 305. To answer your question, I think this setup would be a good and affordable option for the fuel tank/pump:

According to what I've read, it just requires a little bending of the lines to get it to fit the El Camino 22 gallon tank. It's designed for the Monte Carlo tanks, which have a flat top, whereas our El Camino tanks have a bump on top.

Unfortunately for me, I used the external pump that comes with the Sniper Master Kit. After less than 100 miles of driving, the pump is already making terrible screeching noises. It freaks me out that it's going to die at any moment.

I can't report that I'm satisfied with the Sniper just yet. Besides the fuel pump problem, I've also had a terrible time with tuning. Understand that my stock 305 is a bit on the mild side for a 4bbl Sniper, and that I live at very high altitude (9,200 feet). But in my situation, the Sniper is not "self-tuning" at all. In fact, the more it tries to self-tune, the worse the cruck runs. Right now, I'm trying to put together a drivable base tune so that I can get out on the street and generate a log file to send to the tuning experts over on the Holley Sniper forum. I'm hoping they can look at my system and help me figure out what's wrong.

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
994 Posts
In tank Holley fuel pump works well in my truck. The first few hundred miles my system ran very rich, ruined a catalytic converter. I love that it has compensated for altitude changes and has improved efficiency and performance as I have driven it.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts