El Camino Central Forum banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm in the process of finishing up my Sniper EFI install on my 86 stock 305. To answer your question, I think this setup would be a good and affordable option for the fuel tank/pump:

According to what I've read, it just requires a little bending of the lines to get it to fit the El Camino 22 gallon tank. It's designed for the Monte Carlo tanks, which have a flat top, whereas our El Camino tanks have a bump on top.

Unfortunately for me, I used the external pump that comes with the Sniper Master Kit. After less than 100 miles of driving, the pump is already making terrible screeching noises. It freaks me out that it's going to die at any moment.

I can't report that I'm satisfied with the Sniper just yet. Besides the fuel pump problem, I've also had a terrible time with tuning. Understand that my stock 305 is a bit on the mild side for a 4bbl Sniper, and that I live at very high altitude (9,200 feet). But in my situation, the Sniper is not "self-tuning" at all. In fact, the more it tries to self-tune, the worse the cruck runs. Right now, I'm trying to put together a drivable base tune so that I can get out on the street and generate a log file to send to the tuning experts over on the Holley Sniper forum. I'm hoping they can look at my system and help me figure out what's wrong.
If you need any help with the tuning aspect you can always feel free to PM me a couple datalogs and your tune file. I've gotten pretty good at tuning mine, though albeit mine is a 350.

Any idea how well the Holley Sniper EFI system will work with a Comp Cam 12-212-2 cam shaft?
The Sniper has several initial settings for different cam types in motors: mild, street/strip, and race. It's not necessarily the worst idea to have a pro actually tune the car but at least with the mild cam I have in mine, it has been mostly fine with my tweaking of the tune file. For the most part if everything is setup right the Holley should run "okay" out of the box but I can promise you that you will see awful fuel mileage until you start tweaking it for economy. Mine was getting about 10mpg before I started messing with the AFRs and adjusting the timing.

·
Registered
86 El Camino SS. 305 with 200-4r overdrive trans. Sniper EFI.
29 Posts
Thank you. I’m still trying to run the El Camino to get the fuel level down. I appreciate your help and thoughts.
One option if you have this or something similar, or can at least get a good siphon going:

I happened to have one of these in the garage:

I connected it to the fuel line under the hood at the mechanical fuel pump, and it emptied the tank in a couple minutes.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,237 Posts
Out of the box, my sniper handled running my midgrade cammed Big Block with no issues. We were able to use a 5 gas analyzer to dial in the Air-Fuel ratios at various points, for example we found that the big block really wanted to be a hair richer at idle than the Sniper defaults called for. A very easy modification.

At first I ran my original HEI distributor and didnt have the Sniper control timing, some months later we got around to installing the Hyperspark distributor and letting the Sniper controll the timing, thats when it really took off efficiency wise.

There are many TBI systems available and they all pretty much work, I like my Sniper steup and dont hesitate to sing its praises.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Thank you for your idea. That's a great idea, if I can get the fuel tank down to less than 5 gallons. I don't want to have a lot of gas in my garage, for safety reasons.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I went to Harbor Freight to get syphon equipment. They didn't have the one you showed me, but I bought one and have to see how it works. If it doesn't work, I'll have to contact the company that makes it for warranty.

·
Registered
1969 El Camino Restomod
113 Posts
I don’t think it’s going to work. I’ll have to take it back and find a different one.
HF will not accept returns for them unless they have not been used.

I bought the electric one and it works. I used it on my Cuda with a short inlet tube. You will probably need to adapt a rubber extension hose onto it to reach the bottom of your tank.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Thank you. Harbor Freight people told me that and I'm in good shape, because I haven't used it at all. All the shipping seals are in place. It was a bad choice because I didn't figure it out before I bought it.

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
1,064 Posts
How long for who?

If you're putting your fuel pump in the tank, out & in is going to be 3-4 hours. You need to run a 3/8" return line from the tank to the engine compartment (I recommend buying aluminum; easier to follow the supply line) that's another 2-3 hours. Finding good clean 12 volt power, ignition start/run may take a few minutes. O² sensor and temperature sensor may take a couple of hours.
The wiring looks really overwhelming but the system is very comprehensive and your application will not (likely) use more than 15% of the wires. Other things can be controlled by the Sniper (Aux fans, etc) + your tachometer hookup
After everything is hooked up you need to program the system to your application. Basic programming is not difficult but you dial it in before first start.
It's possible to do the entire system install in one day, if you plan it well and have your materials ready. Download the manual or read what came in the box. Plan it well and your installation can be done in one day

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Is there any harm in running it out of gas before I lower the fuel tank down to the ground to put in the new fuel sender and the electric fuel pump. I know I'll have to put gas in it before I can set up the Sniper EFI system.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Running an in tank fuel pump out of fuel is not good for the pump. Will it die immediately? No.

But the fuel is both lubricant and coolant for the pump motor. My lower limit is a quarter of a tank.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Thank you. I presently have a mechanical fuel pump and w be taking it off and replacing it with an electrical pump. I also plan to pump out what ever fuel is left in the tank.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I hoped to pump the remaining fuel out today, but the hose won't go through the bottom end of the fuel tank filling tube. By the gauge there shouldn't be much in the tank. I plan to lower the tank down and go from there.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts