El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I an having a problem getting the hood to fit flush inside the fenders on the "78". I took the hood off to replace the passenger side fender. While I had it apart, I replaced the radiator support and painted it. The alignment with the front clip is good, but the hood needs to sit lower on the fenders. I even took the air cleaner off along with the carb stud in case it was hitting them. I have had the hood off before without running into this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can solve this problem?

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
Is the rear sticking up or the front?

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the sides. about 1/4 inch above the fender.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went to wyotech (auto trade school) for body and custom paint and sheet metal and they really pushed the gap issue on us, now I can't even enjoy a car show because I spend to much time noticing doors are not align and so on, deffinetly a small detail a lot of people can notice

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but I'm doing a motor swap and going to be taking off the hood. Is there a right or wrong way? I was going to take the bolts mounted to the truck and leave the brackets on the hood.:dontknow:
What's the best way so I don't run into this problem? mine sits perfect right now .
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
25 Posts
Take an awl or marker or screw driver ect and mark where the hinge meets the hood on the inside of course and leav the brackets on the car, I have had mine off 5-10 times and always goes right back on, get a Buddie and set your bolts then wiggle till all your lines match back up, ( some adjustment may be needed,

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Take an awl or marker or screw driver ect and mark where the hinge meets the hood on the inside of course and leav the brackets on the car, I have had mine off 5-10 times and always goes right back on, get a Buddie and set your bolts then wiggle till all your lines match back up, ( some adjustment may be needed,
O.k. so take the bolts off the hood but outline the hood bracket before taking out the bolts correct? Leave the brackets mounted to the truck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This what I would do, outline the bracket into the hood take it off as do you stuff then put the hood on top the brackets and line it back up with your marks :nanawrench::yell:

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have added 1 shim to both sides. It didn't seem to make any difference. I have been watching the gaps as well and I think they are close. I think it is an adjustment situation, just trying to learn if there is some adjustment that I missed or did wrong. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hood alignment trouble

What's is the trouble, Do you have the nose square? and how are the mounts, has it ever been in a wreak? I'll answer your question if I have more specs./ Info

·
Registered
18 Posts
Align. troubles

How about the hood latch and Raditor support? is the adjustments on the latch correct or is it bent in some way causing -pulling the hood sideways when it shuts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Always remove the bolts from the hood, Here's a hint, (spray a little paint over them so you can see exzatly where they were before you removed it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ya, no prob! also loosen your hinge bolts that go into the fenders,..JUST a SMIDGE so that when you close it the hinges can move down when you use both hands to push down the back of the hood. after they move into position where you need it,, gently lift the hood open just enough to get a socket wrench on them to tighten back up in place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Paint code Woes

Is there anyone there, or does anyone know how to decifier the paint code tag numbers that are stamped on the plate rivited to the firewall on the drivers-side of a 1967 Chev. Elcamino? Trying to figure out what the original colors were insde and out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, leave the hinges alone,..Unbolt the bolts off the hood and be sure to mark them in some way so that you may tighten them in the same location to keep your body lines straight and aligned.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
This might be a stupid question but are the rubber bumpers on the fenders facing in the right direction? If they are upside down they will push the hood up.
How does the right fender align with the door?

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the help, this is a progress update. I made a little progress by raising the passenger fender. I checked rubber bumpers and they are all pointed in right direction. The hood latch lines up like it should. The body lines and gaps look like they line up. I have a few more things I want to check and will keep you posted.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
I'm taking mine off next week thanks for the info mine sits correct now lets see after. I will outline the mounting and be careful ..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts