El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Thanks guys I think I’ll try an electric latch of some sort first, of it doesn’t work I’ll, go back to the hood pin option, or actuator
A29B1515-CFF2-4241-8E49-8B5C71729187.jpeg
48330E19-90CB-4F12-892D-ED56180045B3.jpeg
B52ABA80-7E8A-4D15-819E-6BC8FFF01D2F.jpeg
CD268831-5EE8-4677-A6A6-97C9DD715285.jpeg

·
Supporting Member
4,437 Posts
If you do something like the one on my tonneau, you will need a spring of some sort to pop the hood up when you release the catch, or you will need to be pressing the release button while lifting the hood. Something like the normal spring on a hood would probably work. Don't know if it will help, but more pictures are available on Flickr in the Tonneau cover album ( see my signature for link)

·
Registered
50 Posts
How are you? Hold elco is running well for you.
Have you thought about a pair of push down and turn locks?
Sort of like a cam lock set up. Best analogy I can give you would be ,
I think the mustangs , older ones had that type of twist locking system. Sharpe looking

·
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you do something like the one on my tonneau, you will need a spring of some sort to pop the hood up when you release the catch, or you will need to be pressing the release button while lifting the hood. Something like the normal spring on a hood would probably work. Don't know if it will help, but more pictures are available on Flickr in the Tonneau cover album ( see my signature for link)
Do you remember what you paid for those latch’s?

·
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
How are you? Hold elco is running well for you.
Have you thought about a pair of push down and turn locks?
Sort of like a cam lock set up. Best analogy I can give you would be ,
I think the mustangs , older ones had that type of twist locking system. Sharpe looking
things are great,

no Ford parts on Killer, found a possible chevy power trunk latch that might work.

·
Supporting Member
4,437 Posts

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Looks like the hardest part will be attaching the striker to the hood itself. If the reinforcement bars I see are aluminum or steel it could work out. I would prefer a bolt through the reinforcement sideways at least. just tapping in with screws would make me nervous after some time opening and shutting and from the good vibrations that blown motor has got to be putting out. I'm with you exploring all options but from here your original plan looks like the strongest, long- life, cost- effective route.

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
Could you add another set of these hood bumpers in the center?

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
If you added a hole through the two current hood bumpers, reinforced with an aluminum tube and then used ball lock pins, would that make it firm enough?
You should be able to reach under the cowl bump at windshield to put ball locks pins in or out.

·
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If you added a hole through the two current hood bumpers, reinforced with an aluminum tube and then used ball lock pins, would that make it firm enough?
You should be able to reach under the cowl bump at windshield to put ball locks pins in or out.
thanks everyone you really got my gears turning, dzus fasteners have there own issue, that was my original original plan, and moved away from them,still have them too.

I found these laying around thinking I’d use them someday

DA283657-1DD7-40B5-A077-FEFBCC4ADBDB.jpeg

thanks old bear👍

I could make some brackets located here on there respective sides. Might be able to access with the doors open, no room between the windshield and cowl though
4DA4388B-0D0B-4065-99DD-B96D7D57F471.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
There may be some stronger alternatives.

Actually, I used a bunch for my high performance catamaran.
Got them at Army - Navy Surplus Stores for a few $ each.

·
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
There may be some stronger alternatives.

Actually, I used a bunch for my high performance catamaran.
Got them at Army - Navy Surplus Stores for a few $ each.
not looking at those $$$$$$$ down the road maybe but thanks I’ll be good with the ones I have for now

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just how well are those tabs anchored to the hood? Possibly use those with electric actuators through a hole in the tab to a simple steel bracket that sits adjacent to the tab? Basically like a car alarm hood latch lock

·
Registered
30 Posts
Getting ready to drill the holes for the hood pins, and decided to stop. ( thinking do I really want to drill holes into this hood) not really but what other choice do I have?

keep in mind my entire front clip tilts forward, at highway speeds the hood tries to lift, hence the need to do some sort of latch/hood pin etc....

1. I thought about doing some sort of electric hood latch but that would only hold it down in one spot plus I would need to glue/ bond the latch part to the hood, may not last as long or have other issues!

2. linear actuator to raise and lower the front clip, this would take some thinking, location,stroke, bracket ,stuff like that. A linear actuator can’t be pulled out, so it would act as a lock, but the location would be by the pivot point not where the hood is lifting towards the windshield of course. The pivot point is near the nose.

3. old fashioned hood pins, 2 holes, 2 locations of support, but I have to drill into the hood. Pics to show were I’m at.

4. Other Options?

View attachment 131480 View attachment 131481 View attachment 131482
You didn't mind cutting that big ol' hole for the super charger... drill the the holes, if it solves the problem!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This is what dirt track guys use to hold panels onto the car.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Sorry, got crazy with the post button...
Quarter turn fasteners will work both as hold downs on the top edge and in shear on the sides. I'd recommend at least four fasteners/latches of whatever kind you decide on - two across the top like you laid out for hood pins and two more on the lower corners just ahead of the doors.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts