El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good recommendation for a hood prop rod.
One that works, for more than a few uses?

The hood stays up normally. With this cam, once it drops to low idle, it can set up a vibration pattern that can cause it to drop.
Aside from potential damage to the car, I don't want my mechanic getting hit again.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
QUOTE. I don't want my mechanic getting hit again. [/QUOTE]

AGAIN ????????????????

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Anyone have a good recommendation for a hood prop rod.
One that works, for more than a few uses?

The hood stays up normally. With this cam, once it drops to low idle, it can set up a vibration pattern that can cause it to drop.
Aside from potential damage to the car, I don't want my mechanic getting hit again.
We use these at work when the new style strut supports are bad or while replacing fenders that have the hinge attached to them. They collapse down short enough to keep behind the seat or might find a spot under the hood.

There's also a piece of 1x2 if you want to keep the cost down!

Joe

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I used a piece of hollow aluminum from a boat tarp and found rubber feet at hardware store. Fits right in at latch location and you can use an adjustable support or cut to size like I did. I used it at shows to keep the hood open but not all the way up. Good luck! :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Anybody use a gas hood strut? Get a Mighty Lift stud/ball kit ML3000, and two Strong Arm 4062 hood struts.
Grind off one of the rivets on the hood hinge, and remove one of the lower bolts on the hinge, replace with ball stud, snap in hood strut.
used on 78-87, unsure about earlier applications...

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Old mechanic trick.
A broomstick cut to specs.
you'll be looking for a little bit possibly. most brooms sold today are thin-walled aluminum tubing. you'll prov\bably have to goto HomerDPot for a thick wood broomstick. Bonus: it doubles as a defensive weapon if cut short enough!

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We use these at work when the new style strut supports are bad or while replacing fenders that have the hinge attached to them. They collapse down short enough to keep behind the seat or might find a spot under the hood.

There's also a piece of 1x2 if you want to keep the cost down!

Joe
Ordered this one only picked up from CARID who is a sponsor on this website.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ordered this one only picked up from CARID who is a sponsor on this website.

Both hood prop shocks on my HHR failed so I utilized one of these - it is compact, adjustable, and inexpensive.
I bought two before I got my hips replaced and it works great!

·
Registered
462 Posts
To late apparently but why not swap one off an S10? Should fit on the core support just right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anybody use a gas hood strut? Get a Mighty Lift stud/ball kit ML3000, and two Strong Arm 4062 hood struts.
Grind off one of the rivets on the hood hinge, and remove one of the lower bolts on the hinge, replace with ball stud, snap in hood strut.
used on 78-87, unsure about earlier applications...
Have a fiberglass hood and I got tired of using wire ties to hold it up and did the same thing that you describe. Works like a charm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts