El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new around here and could use some help. I have a 3rd gen 1972 Elky with a domed hood. It is not a SS. You can see some pics under the members cars section or my web site. It is the a72elky Mohave Gold elky. I like the other Gold Elky in that same gallery owned by Bayou State El Camino. I am not sure of his user ID, but it is a fantastic looking SS.

I want to add the same style hood stripe and hood pins. I purchased a stencil kit from Stencils & Stipes Unlimited. The kits appears to be top quality, but I'm not someone who could paint the hood. I'm going to take it to one of the local body shops that I have had do some normal collision work over the years.

My question is: What is fair price to pay a professional to apply the stencil correctly and shoot the paint??? Any special questions or things I should request the body shop to do??

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
174 Posts
It all depends on what he gets per hour to paint and if you supply the paint and other supplies.

A main question that you should ask yourself is are you happy with his work?

I have found that a real good body man is hard to come by! ! ! Kinda like a good mechanic. To me, I will pay a little more for a job done perfectly the first time and not have to go back than save a couple bucks and have to have the job redone again halfway through the show season.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, finding a good body and paint guy is tough. The shop I want to and will use, actually does great work. They take great pride in their work. My only concern is that most of the time I have used them in the past, it has been partly paid by an insurance company.
This time, I will be paying the entire cost myself. I do want the job done right the first time. I'm just not sure what to expect or how big a job for a professional it is.

Thanks for your opinion,

Jay

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Jay,

Im my opinion, if you already have a stencil that the bodyman has to put on and sand and paint, that is half the work for them since they only have to measure and lay out the stencil. So, it really shoudnt be that hard of a job.

Where you will probably pay most of the money will be the prep work. There will be a lot of masking off if you bring the whole car to them. It might save you some money by taking the hood off and bringing them just the hood. Meaning less prep work by less masking, more space to walk around while painting equaling a usually better and more even job, and ease of moving the piece around in the shop.

If they have done excellent work for you in the past, I would stay with them. You also might want to get a price from them and then say how much would this be if I paid all by cash? My body shop always knocks a bunch of money off whenever I pay cash cause they dont have to report this to good ol uncle sam. It helps them, plus it helps you. Win-Win situation.

Hopefully they are good people and wont charge you an arm and a leg for such a small job.

Good luck with it and let us know how you make out! ! !

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brian. I had not considered taking the hood off. That is a great idea. I will take the elky over to them and see which way would be best. And I will see if they discount for cash. I think they might do that also. Great ideas.
I am looking to do it fairly soon, as sooner or later it will stop snowing around here and the cruisin season can begin.
So pics will be updated as soon as it's done.

Jay

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did mine when I was 20 with noting but a ruler, pencil, 3/4" masking tape and newspaper. turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.

If I can do it, a bodyshop should be able to do it with no problem. All I used where the dimentions in one of those Assembly Line manuals you can find at swap meets and stuff.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise Morgan. Yours came out exactly as I want mine to look like. I do have the Assembly Manual page with the spec's you mentioned, plus the stencil kit has the dimensions to confirm. I was going to give both with the stencil kit to the shop.
If the body shop can duplicate what yours looks like, I would be very pleased.
Can you say about how many hours it took you to make it look like that?

Thanks again,

Jay

·
Registered
174 Posts
Jay,

I cant agree with you more. I live here in northern nj and the other day we got more of that 4 letter "S" word (Snow). I wont even take my cars out on a nice day if the roads still have salt on them. Dont want to take a chance. I am getting the itch also to take them out and open them up just so they can "breathe" after a long winters nap. Granted, I usually start them up about once every other week just to keep it charged up and things lubricated but its always nice to take them on the road to check everything out.

Hope everything works out with your hood issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
a72elky said:
Thanks for the advise Morgan. Yours came out exactly as I want mine to look like. I do have the Assembly Manual page with the spec's you mentioned, plus the stencil kit has the dimensions to confirm. I was going to give both with the stencil kit to the shop.
If the body shop can duplicate what yours looks like, I would be very pleased.
Can you say about how many hours it took you to make it look like that?

Thanks again,

Jay
honestly, I dont remember how many hours it too. I mean once you get the base coat down, you wetsand out where the stripes are gonna go. Find exact center of the hood, and measure out from there. Really I think the measuring took the longest, maybe an hour on that alone. After that its all just masking a painting, normal bodywork stuff. Depending on how good the bodyshop is, you shouldnt even be able to feel the stripes when done. That of course is based on how many coats of clear is applied, and how many times they wetsand, that is of course if you have base/clear paint on it now.

Overall, including drying times, a bodyshop should be able to whip it out in 1 or 2 days, 3 days MAX.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hood stripe finally done

Finally! The hood stripe is done. I purchased a stencil kit from Stencils and Stripes,Unlimited. The body shop sanded the entire hood,applied the stencil,shot the black paint,applied clear coat,baked it and buffed it out. They charged me $60 for parts and 7 hours labor at $36 an hour. Total of $315. It came out great. They got the lines perfectly straight and you can't feel any paint buildup. Plus, the rest of the elky is not clear coated. The shine comes from the Zaino polish. So,I was worried that the clearcoated hood would look different from the rest of the elky. No problem, it matches perfectly. Check out the pics at http://levitanj.home.mindspring.com. There is a button for Updated-03-Exterior pics.
Thanks for all the advise.

Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts