El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i try to open the hood but it wouldnt open anyone got ideals to open it? i press down hard hit the hood nothing!! :poke: :let_it_all_out: :dontknow:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
What happens when you pull the hood release? Does it feel like the cable is broken, or can you feel it's still connected to the latch?
Try having someone pull the cable and hold it while you try to open it from the outside. If you hit the hood right in the latch area while someone holds the cable it should open. If not you'll have to try going up from under the car. It's a bit hard to get to the release that way, but not many choices. Removing the grille might help you see it a little better.

·
2,566 Posts
OK so sounds like the cable broke. You'll have to go from under the car. Take out the grille. That should help you see a little better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sometimes mine is stubborn. Try pushing down and to the right (towards drivers side) on the front center of the hood where the latch is, but more to the side then down.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
last time i pressed the hood release it didnt open and while i was drivin the hood opened lol

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Pressing??? Are you people talking about the PULL release on the driver's side by the kick panel, or are you talking about the release on the hood itself?? If on the hood itself, I have problems from time to time, and solve them by pressing against the hood release (on the hood), and pushing down on the hood to clear the catch. The spring, at least on mine, is pretty strong, or maybe I'm just weak, or both. When it cold, I've spent up to a minute to get that sukker to move enough to release the hood.

·
2,566 Posts
:dontknow: I thought he was describing a broken cable. Either way, I would go from under the car and open it before you dent the S#!t out of it. Once you get it open, you can get a better idea of what the problem is

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Bobby, ya can't get to the HOOD release (that's on the hood) from under the car. There's no reason to dent anything, just keep the hood down as far as possible with one hand, and the other hand under the hood pressing upward on the hood release. That spring is S T R O N G!!!!

IF it's the cable from the interior pull handle, that's gonna be much tuffer. The cable runs along the top of the fender well, and it's VERY difficult to get to, UNLESS, it's broken at the pull handle (doubtful). Then vice grips come into play.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If the release cable is not working. There is a good thread on how to get the hood open, in search. But basically you take out the grill. Look up in there and you see the bolts holding the hood release latch. You take out the bolts, using a socket and universal with your ratchet. The hood should free itself. The screws holding the grille in are funky, but I can not remember on what you have to do. Hope this helps.

Harris

·
2,566 Posts
He's talking abot the hood release cable not releasing the hood. That's why it worked before when he pulled the release and hit the hood. The shock to hood released it. If you keep hitting the hood you will dent it. You can dent these from just closing them too hard.
And you can get to the cable from under the car or you can remove the latch through the grille. That's why I said 2X to take the grille out to get a better look at what needs to be done. If the cable is broken you may be able to grab what's left with a bent welding rod or hanger. If it's broken at the latch you should be able to snake the welding rod or a hook tool in there and pull the lever that the cable was connected to.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Make sure the cable is still connected to the hood pop lever, they can break from there just as much as any other spot. If so then try stripping the housing ( if possible ) and use a pair of pliers to pull the broken cable. Just a possibility

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you pull the cable all the way out it wont release the latch.it has an interlock.pull it all the way then back off a little then have someone else tap the hood to the right of the center seem.if that doesnt do it as stated above you will need to remove the grill to get at the latch assembly

·
Registered
451 Posts
Unless things have changed in the last few years there should be a small hole on the bottom side of the latch, if you lay under the front of the car and look upwards toward the latch you should see it, insert an icepick or something similar into the hole, you should be able to trip it and release the hood.

Hope this helps,MIKE

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
there is no hole on the gen 5 you can access the latch release through.you can lay down and use a 4 in extension and a short 13 mm socket to get to the latch retaining bolts without removeing the grill.just reach up between the header panel and the core support and you can feel the bolts

·
Registered
298 Posts
mine need the driver door slammed to pop open after hood latch is pulled. Kind of neat ... added security ... most people would not figure it out to quick :secret:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts