El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got a '81 Camino with the 5.0 engine and the horn worked when I bought it, but suddenly stopped. I tried checking out the fuse box but none clearly said "horn" and from what I saw online it doesn't look like there a fuse for the horn. Any help would be great! =D

·
Registered
335 Posts
is it an original horn ? may have fried

check your contacts in the steering wheel they can become corroded

and i am note sure if there is a fuse
:nanawrench:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
When you try to honk the horn, is there a "clicking" noise from under the dash? If not, the relay has died. Cheap ($8) easy fix.

:poke:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help, yes it's original
Do you remember the amps for that fuse?
There's no clicking, sounds like a plan, I've never done it before, know of any "how-to's"?

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
you have 3 relays under the dash (stock) 2 plug into fuse box and are for turn signals and flashers, they may be either round or square. the other one is square and when you unplug it, will have 3 prongs. get a new one at the parts store, and it wiill be easy to recognize the old one. The clicking noise is caused by the bi-metal piece inside closing the circuit, and making the horn honk when you push the horn pad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOOK at this ↓
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/d2/articles/wiring/821.gif

The Fuse is Marked CTSY & is a 20 amp
Thank you so much! And everybody else too!!!
So I replaced this fuse, and although the horn still doesn't work, there's the "clicking" noise, what's that mean?
In regards to the interior lights, I don't know if they still work because a while back it wasn't turning off (even after car was off and doors were closed) so I just took out the bulb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you have 3 relays under the dash (stock) 2 plug into fuse box and are for turn signals and flashers, they may be either round or square. the other one is square and when you unplug it, will have 3 prongs. get a new one at the parts store, and it wiill be easy to recognize the old one. The clicking noise is caused by the bi-metal piece inside closing the circuit, and making the horn honk when you push the horn pad.

Didn't see that before posting, so I guess just that new relay is all I probably need? (fingers crossed)

W

·
0 Posts
mine clicks, has a very very very faint sound of a dying horn who's been smoking cigarettes for the last 25 years. does the horn just die eventually? if so, where is the thing? I'm in an area where a horn is needed due to terrible drivers

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
Open the hood and look just the the drivers side of the hood latch. If you still can't see them have someone push the horn button while you are looking - ought to work?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts