El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
This will probably be a dumb question, but I've got to ask.
Is it a bad thing to have the heater hose that comes off the intake manifold near the thermostat (return line from the core) running next to, as in touching, the AC hose that runs from the compressor to the the drier near the heater/ac box? I would like to follow that route in an effort to try and neaten up the engine bay but most importantly I'm trying to get it away from the new fuel lines I'm running.
I'm wondering if the heat from the water line will in any way have a bad effect on the performance of the AC system.
Thanks, Ang.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have all my
AC and heater hoses running together in my 66

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since you guys are in warm weather climates, I'll take that as a no problem for the AC system.
Thanks, Ang.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Since you guys are in warm weather climates, I'll take that as a no problem for the AC system.
Thanks, Ang.

My AC wont keep up if I'm cruising with the window down. (DUH) Took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong. (double DUH)

Otherwise no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the window down was the max AC setting:dontknow:,tough to use when it's raining.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i actually had a customer complain his ac didnt keep him cool with the top down on his cutlas convertable, the whole shop got a chuckle from that ,once he left of course

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
When it gets really hot I roll down the A and the C.
Won't hurt a thing. It's actually a good idea.
My 78 has one of the heater hoses coiled around the accumulator, the factory routing. It warms it up a bit to help ensure that no liquid refrigerant gets back to the compressor.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
The receiver stores refrigerant for the evaporator. The refrigerant goes into the evap as a subcooled liquid and as it absorbs heat it flashes back to a hot gas. Right? So wouldn't having it change in the receiver make the vent temps warmer?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Won't hurt a thing. It's actually a good idea.
My 78 has one of the heater hoses coiled around the accumulator, the factory routing. It warms it up a bit to help ensure that no liquid refrigerant gets back to the compressor.
Thanks, thats good to hear. The hose I was actually re-routing was the one on top of the water pump. The manifold hose will get moved when I swap the manifold. Any way I changed the fitting on the pump so that the hose now comes straight up under the AC hose. I fabbed up a new hose bracket on top of the alt. that now holds the AC line with the heater hose under it. The heater hose travels beneath the AC line around to and by the accumulator hugging the heater box and back to the core. I downsized it to 5/8'' for a little cleaner look and made the transition back to 3/4'' near the heater box with coolant flushing tee. I figured that the coolant flow out of the core can only be as much as whats going in and that line is 5/8''. It worked out well and it gives me a nice open spot above the fuel pump for the new unheated fuel line.
Thanks for all the replies, Ang.:beer:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
The receiver stores refrigerant for the evaporator. The refrigerant goes into the evap as a subcooled liquid and as it absorbs heat it flashes back to a hot gas. Right? So wouldn't having it change in the receiver make the vent temps warmer?
You're thinking of the receiver/dryer in a TXV (expansion valve) system. Most post-1977 US built cars have a CCOT (cycling clutch/orifice tube) system. The accumulator is between the evaporator and compressor and "catches" any liquid refrigerant that doesn't get boiled off in the evap.

It's funny actually,
Many younger Car Guys, and even Techs, only know CCOT systems because that's all they've ever seen. They get a bit tripped up if they have to work on an older TXV system or something non-automotive.
But, I've never actually seen general refrigeration loop diagrams that show a CCOT system. Most online sources show basic TXV systems. This can lead to some confusion for younger Car Guys and a lot of Refrigeration Techs who arent familiar with automotive AC.
I'm guessing you are familiar with non-automotive systems by your choice of terminology. :beer:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks, thats good to hear. The hose I was actually re-routing was the one on top of the water pump. The manifold hose will get moved when I swap the manifold. Any way I changed the fitting on the pump so that the hose now comes straight up under the AC hose. I fabbed up a new hose bracket on top of the alt. that now holds the AC line with the heater hose under it. The heater hose travels beneath the AC line around to and by the accumulator hugging the heater box and back to the core. I downsized it to 5/8'' for a little cleaner look and made the transition back to 3/4'' near the heater box with coolant flushing tee. I figured that the coolant flow out of the core can only be as much as whats going in and that line is 5/8''. It worked out well and it gives me a nice open spot above the fuel pump for the new unheated fuel line.
Thanks for all the replies, Ang.:beer:
Hey Mopowa snaps some shots Im interested in seeing it. we all are.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
After taking pics with my phone, fighting with my computer that now can't seem to connect to my phone, emailing them to myself, somehow fumbling the procedure to put them into my EC Garage, then defaulting to a rather dusty Photobucket account...here ya go:
http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/lsrx101/El Camino/

I REALLY have to work on my "posting pics to an Internet Forum while sipping vodka" skills. :mrgreen:

This is how the hose was routed when I bought the car and I remembered (way back in the day) wondering why they routed the hose like that. Not all GM cars were routed that way, but I remember seeing it many times on fairly new cars when I first started out as a mechanic in the late 70s-early 80s.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I REALLY have to work on my "posting pics to an Internet Forum while sipping vodka" skills. :mrgreen:
Thats a talent that takes ALOT of practice. Keep trying.:beer:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
QUOTE=69 SS396;383100]Thats a talent that takes ALOT of practice. Keep trying.:beer:[/QUOTE]
Will do, :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts