El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello newbee here MY name is Greg or Albert been in the car repair buis since 1978 tech service writer now winding down a pretty good career working for one of the parts chain helping people with there problems installing battery's and light bulbs. Purchased my el camino 3 mo ago for a poss quick flip and quickly remembered how much work a worn out car thats been parked for 5 years needs yup it was a POS 3 mo later rebuilt the engine the ac system brakes some susp work new shocks window parts rebuilt the instrument cluster all stock gauges working perfectly now rebuilt the wiper and washer assy with new turn signal shaft control assy It was all enjoyable untill the weather turned a few weeks ago now working out therein the driveway feels more like work and less like a hobby My quest for help is a BLACK wire coming from the BOTTOM CORNER of the bulkhead connector under the brake booster it was not connected anywhere just flopping around I was suprised when I test lighted it and it was hot I cant seem to find a diagram that sheds any light on it Under the dash I cant see where its at or where it might go to Its definatly a factory wire any ideas would be greatly apprecieated sorry for the grammer it took a set of U-joints to pass my high school english class Thanks in advance greg

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Take some lacquer thinner or similar and clean the wire to make sure it is just not black paint on it. BTDT

·
Registered
218 Posts
You didn't mention the year.

Check online you can easily find a wiring diagram.

Worst case set up your test light and one by one pull the fuses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its definitly black I cant find any diagrams that show that connector at fire wall anywhere the only thing that makes sense to me would be a under hood light with some kind of gravity switch that would be hot all the time, with the battery dis- connected it has continuity with all the hot sides at the fuse block going to scrounge around garage for a old under hood light thanks for everyones help

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Al
pull the Curtesy Fuse and see if it goes dead..
if not,, pull the Gauge fuse, could be in the Cruise Wiring..
just running on memory here, don't have a 83 manual..

there is a orange/black for the under hood light on the later models
but not at the bottom corner..
on older cars "I think" it was black..

and there is a black Cornering Lamps wire on the Cars with those, not a Elky tho..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
welcome Al
pull the Curtesy Fuse and see if it goes dead..
if not,, pull the Gauge fuse, could be in the Cruise Wiring..
just running on memory here, don't have a 83 manual..

there is a orange/black for the under hood light on the later models
but not at the bottom corner..
on older cars "I think" it was black..

and there is a black Cornering Lamps wire on the Cars with those, not a Elky tho..
thats whats weird I pulled all the fuses its still hot Its 12V un fused it has continuity with all the hot bridges behind the fuse block I know that doesnt make sense but my eyes dont lie also the wire wasnt in a loom it just comes out of that bottom corner of firewall connector and is about 5 feet of loose black wire it was tucked in with the hoses and stuff (at the top of firewall) heading towards pass side towards the ac box I was thinking pull the fuse box loose and see if i can chase it somewhere from there its a mystery

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
this question has been asked before, I still don't have a answer..

there is 2 screws inside that hold the fuse box down
pull those and you can see the Bulk-Head connector inside
and the back of the fuse box,, and "maybe" trace it out..

is the black wire on the driver side or pass side - bottom corner ??
both are blank in my 85 manual..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't assume it's factory. Many times it's a half brained attempt to do dumb stuff like go to a toggle switch for fog lamp additions, car alarms etc. Chevy uses a lot of ground side wiring, where components are always 12v, the switch making connection to ground after the component, so it's not unheard of for a small power block under the hood to have several unfused wires. Usually on the firewall passenger side.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it's like my 85 it is for an underhood light. There will probably be two small holes in the back underside of the hood on toward the drivers side and two toward the passenger side. I'm not sure exactly how it functions. The bulb is out of mine but it is hot with the hood open. I read somewhere there is a mercury switch setup somehow but can't validate that. I haven't spent much time checking because I go to bed when it gets dark so not much need for the light!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
it might be for a clock. My 70 had one , factory harness, but no clock was ever installed, I bought it new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I 2nd 2byongagain - my 86 has a black wire for the hood light which I've got stuffed beside the washer fluid tank - & I go to bed @ dark so I don't need it

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ground the wire and see if it blows a fuse. If it does, it will tell you what circuit it is on. If it doesn't, it's an undone ground wire and the hot reading you are getting is back feeding through a device.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for everyone's help and ideas While wiring it to an old ford under hood light I found I noticed while stripping the insulation back a little, it had a hard clear plastic insulation under the black exterior insulation witch gave the wire a very rigid feel to it also very strange thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts